Kayen AP2 (Nettlefold)

Discussion in 'Kayen' started by Sedgman, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Came to me in a very dilapidated state. The reflector was on it for some time but has no stays on it so probably not an original reflector. The underside is white and the undercoat and final coat worked a treat. The top coat is a very reflective Dulux metallic paint.

Kayen (Nettlefolds).jpg

The burner was in very bad shape with a broken spigot. Broke the air breathers getting them off so I'm just pleased it finally worked. They come from the 1940s to early 1950s.

Burner.jpg NRV.jpg Fount.jpg

Reflector.jpg
    Another one working now.
    Happy fettling.

2. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

The reflector with the shallow cut notches for the handle are for the 1950-54 x246 with the looped handle cage.
    The later clip handle cage needs a deeper cut notch.

3. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

@Sedgman very cool lanterns, i like the work on the burner, in the end a great lantern with hours of fun 20200811_170056.jpg
    It was one of my first fettles, it was polished but i like the patina, i named this lantern Lady Patrina, after my beautiful partner

4. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Yes Darryl, the burner gave me 'hours of fun'. Extracting the broken spigot part was difficult and I ended up going to drill it out and braze in a permanent spigot but low and behold the drill got it out without damaging the thread. I have since invested in a set of left hand drill bits (seriously) , to aid in this sort of problem. I then found the injector tube was crook too. I also like the lantern you have shown. The control cock has the brass knob I take it.

Thanks Anthony, I am only just getting around to sorting out my reflectors and I should have realised what this one was. Just knew it didn't belong on the Kayen AP2 but seeing it came with it I left it there.

5. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

@Sedgman , kayen have a brass control cock knob, yours is from a tilley, still it works a treat.
    Hours of fun

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup: