Kayen AP2 steel

Discussion in 'Kayen' started by Nils Stephenson, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Here are some photos of a steel AP2 with it's shade. Hopefully this can help to determine whether the steel versions were made by Kopsen or Nettlefold, or maybe both. So far, my thoughts are kopsen.

1317061369-Kayen_AP2_steel_front.jpg

1317061369-Kayen_AP2_steel_front.jpg 1317061380-Kayen_AP2_steel_burner.jpg 1317061390-Kayen_AP2_steel_tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Colin M

It's hard to distinguish between these, as you mentioned can't go by pumps. There is a difference on some with the threads but the only sure way is the decal.

Its only an observation but all T S Nettlefolds I have seen have the metal hanger. Not much to go on but it's a start.

Colin

3. Nils Stephenson

I'm not following you here. What do you mean by metal hanger?

It would be nice with some decals but I only have one steel AP2 where there are the remains of the shape of the decal. It is oval and with a black edge. That could be either. I think I have convinced myself I can see some gold colour as well, which would tie in with Kopsen as oposed to the green used by Nettlefold.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Colin M

The metal thingy that you hang the lamp up with or carry it.

Pretty sure they both have the same decal on the front the one on the base is the same but different details etc, been going to make up some decals for some that I have. This might be a good time to do it.

This excludes the very early models that have the rectangle Kayen as I have only seen one of these and the decal on the bottom is missing so cannot compare.

I have some excellent examples of Nettlefold and Kopsen to take pictures of.

5. Nils Stephenson

I thought that's what you meant, but can't see how this refers to Nettlefold. Both Kopsen and Nettlefold have this frame/hanger. Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

If you make up some decals I would be very interested. ;)

6. Nils Stephenson

I thought I'd show the remnant of the label there is on one of my steel AP2s. Not much, but at least it shows it was there.

1317144767-Kayen_AP2_steel_label.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. Colin M

Looks like yours has been overpressurised like mine. Rocks around like a top !!!!

8. Nils Stephenson

No it's fine. Sits nicely on the rim. The paint loss is probably because of something else. I've got one with a big solder repair in the base where it must have rusted out at some time.

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

8) Ah, pretty faithful [strike]knock-off[/strike], er, clone, of the equivalent Tilley item, then - they even copied the crap tanks... :clap: :lol:

10. Nils Stephenson

I thought Tilley of that vintage (40s) was supposed to be good.

11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes, so did I, but if they can be over-pressurised with the pump to the extent that the baseplate dishes down, then maybe they're not as robust as I'd thought... :cry:

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I don't know how Kayen tanks are made. For that matter I don't know how a Steel Tilley tank is constructed either. Normally tanks only dish down if the base plate is inserted upside down. It is possible that the steel tanks were made different to the brass ones in the 1940s and maybe they can be pushed too far. Trouble here is you have to trash a tank to find out which is fine with common Tilley stuff but not so easy to justify with older less common lamps. ::Neil::

13. Colin M

Kayen brass are the same as the Aladdin 1a. ie insert in the top lip and then soldered. Dish down.

The steel are incorporated in the lower lip. Inserted and then rolled over to incorporate the outer lip of fount and the edge of the insert.

1317720565-1.jpg

You can see the 2 layers of the internal lip.

I was very reluctant to " attack " this steel fount but it was unusable as is.

The Tilley all Steel that I have is an EX 100. This appears to be a 3 piece fount. There is the insert in the bottom. Although it is hard to tell but there appears to be a solder line there. Then there is a section that incorporates the lip and inserted in this is the rest of the fount. Looking at the picture just above the upper lip there is a line . This is where the top is fitted.

1317722983-Tilley_steel.jpg

Colin