Kayen AP2

Discussion in 'Kayen' started by Tonebone, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Tonebone

Just put the finishing touches on this Kayen AP 2. Wow they burn beautifully. Thanks Colin P in Australia for the handle frame. I am so happy with the end result.

1339495116-photo.jpg 1339495155-photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Nice looking lantern there. You've been busy with the polish by the looks.

Is the shade black on top? Was this original?

I like the can you use for size reference. Looks like a can of Bundy. :) It's a bit dark so I can't see what type.

3. Tonebone

G'day Nils, The AP 2 arrived in the post today. I couldn't wait to restore her. The reflector looked like it was black/grey, this could have happened with age. Maybe it should of been green, to match the hood ? the reflector had a fair bit of surface rust so its hard to tell. Yes it is a can of "Bundy" the Kayen's run better on Bundy than Kero as you know. Anyway I love the AP 2, it is original and very bright.

4. Nils Stephenson

So far I've seen white, green and black tops to the reflectors. I was wondering as yours looked like it might have been resprayed.

Coming from Bundaberg, I usually notice if there is any rum around. :) I prefer it straight though.

5. Tonebone

I cleaned the reflector up as much as I could and matched the colour it arrived in. It is white underneath. So your right it has been resprayed. If you have seen them in black in the past then maybe this one has always been black. Bet you miss the Bundy when your overseas ? or is it available where you live ?

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine lamp! :thumbup:

7. Nils Stephenson

From what I've seen, the black ones were a gloss black. Actually I think they were all gloss, but time has taken it's toll on the paint. Most of them are usually rust colour. :) I have two shades myself which came with steel AP2s and they are a dusty pale green (shown here in the gallery). Not sure if they were ever gloss.

Unfortunately you can't get Bundy over here. I've developed quite a taste for the central american and carribean rums though (which I can get), so I get by. :)