Kerosene 339

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Parkguy, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Parkguy United States

I've got a fussy lantern and since I'm in the states you all may have more experience with this particular model. I do a TON of repair and restoration and this lantern has given me a fit.

Now starting out, the mantle is too big because I really like the midstate lamp company lightouse 525 500CP monster mantle. It does have thorium and my 237s, 214, and a couple 200a's do amazing with this mantle. I don't know if my 249 has it for sure but I think it does as well.

The issue is it just does not run well, requires pumping, and is generally fussy. It also likes preheating so much it will fill it's own cup when running, and lights it. It has not done this the last few days since I run it daily,

I do have a new gen for it coming in the mail though that will be a long while probably.

So is the large mantle the issue? I'd hate to knock it off. I've flushed it a few times and cleaned out the burner with no luck. I'll try another cap on it from a 335 (should have done sooner).

Thanks!

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

From what you've told us it sounds like a generator problem to me

3. Parkguy United States

Swapped the cap and so far it's better, but the gen was $10.00 USD so that's fine. Someday with how much I use lanterns for work it may be needed.

I'll keep running it to make sure. I'm kicking myself for fighting with such a basic problem.

Thank you.

4. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I use 350-500CP rated mantles in my 335 - I have found it prefers the longer over the more round mantles. I also found that the pricker handle position is quite critical - Otherwise a faultless lantern and one of my "go to" items when I need reliable light.

5. Parkguy United States

I continued to have issues until swapping the mantle. My replacement generator from OCP caused flame-ups every 2 seconds or so and it got quite annoying. Swapping back to the old generator fixed this and now it seems to be just fine.

Only thing I don't care for is how amazingly hot this thing gets. My 249 is the same though, but both get too hot to touch and pump. With how my 249 had a handle and not a knob it gets difficult as well. But both are great.

6. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Intermittent flame-ups are often the generator not getting hot enough on start or not staying hot enough during running. It can be a result of a worn jet, low pressure or a bit of crap moving up and down the generator.
    No Coleman lantern (for that matter no lantern at all) I have ever owned/fettled has become too hot to pump. There is still something going on I think...

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

As I said before my money is on it being a generator problem, exasurbated by something else, maybe the burner.