Korean Vapouriser Tilley Parts 606 / 607 substitute .. problems !!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Alby, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi all ..

I seek advice and guidance from the forum here on this one : -

1. I Purchased a Korean made Vapouriser and cleaning rod from a Korean Gentleman on Ebay
    to replace Tilley Part 606 with pricker wire part 607 ... after consideration and reports I dug
    into my pockets after review and recommendations of others suggesting that it was a good
    purchase ... purchased one .. I am having some doubts now...

2. The item came well packaged very quickly with a spare brass end nipple and spare needle
    the guy threw in a leather pump washer for good measure... it was well made quality I thought .

3 I have a stack of " time expired " vapourisers ... this new puirchase would be the heaven sent answer to all my vapouriser problems ,, I run several Tilley Guardsmen and x246 B,s that use part 606 etc.

4.Part fitted all went well Tilley Guardsman fired stood to attention and off he went .. good light
    response ... but after 5 minutes the mantle blackened and flames around it .. all checked ..
    cooled off... re check tightness etc ,, seals ... premium paraffin ok ... it should not do this.

5. I took the brass nipple off , cleaned the needle''' flushed the rod ,, ok .. I thought adjust the
    length of the needle .. it appeared to me that too much fuel was spurting through the nipple
    orifice and by adjusting the needle upwards it may stop this... so I thought.. no was same...

6. As my lamp heats up the brass nipple could expand and orifice expands.... as a cause of this excess fuel delivery.. so it still does it .. excess fuel ,, yellow flame around mantle.
    It starts from cold good but after 5 mins ..I have a mad mantle .. it has been a bad purchase
    for me .... It does not work as it should .. or am I doing something wrong ?

7. Now please if any you learned lamp fellows out there advise me if I have overlooked anything
    please please tell me ... I have tried this Korean vapouriser in a couple of well pressured and top working Tilley Guardsmen .. it is the very same ..I am regretting this purchase:thumbdown::cry:

8.I have not contacted its manufacturer as yet .. maybe there is a way round it ?

Alby UK

2. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

You are sure not loosing pressure somewhere ?
    I don't believe in the expand theory. Simply because then you would have to fasten every heat exposed connection over and over. But nevertheless: heat the jet up with a torch and tighten it maybe the thread need this.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Alby

Is yours the one with steel tubing and brass nipple?

If so, I have two of these (606 and 169 equivalents). They both work perfectly.

Best regards

Tony

4. george

george United States Subscriber

If you tried the vaporizer in other Tilleys and had the same problem then it has to be the vaporizer. Personally, I look for the older ones, they seem to be more reliable. Now having said that I have to be honest, I've never compared an original Tilley vap with the newer repro examples. I would get in touch with the seller, he sounds like someone you can work with.
    :D/:-({|=

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@Alby

These come with a spare nipple so give the spare nipple a try.

I have several of these vaporizers and they have all worked perfectly for me.

Norman

6. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Thank you all guys.... some good answers there ... I have tried the Korean vapouriser in other really good tilleys in my stable all pumping well and running perfectly strongly on original vapourisers , not loosing pressure and not problematic ....I get the same result .. so it must be this vapouriser .. There must be a fault in its manufacture ...I just Emailed this Korean manufacturer .. lets hope he can understand or get someone who can ..it is a case of " Caveat emptor " ....( let the buyer beware ! ) ..

I will try the second nipple/ needle option after I get any / some response
    I am loathe to take a lump hammer and a nail punch to try and peen this
    brass nipple ... It has a brass nipple simple to Petromax , steel needle
    steel tube , brass ring bottom, brass tubing .. I have not tried yet to extricate and find metal guaze inside the tube ... if there is one ... so I do not know what material it has been manufactured with.

Leaving you all now... not having been impressed with a disappointing and costly purchase ..

I will re post if anything gets sorted ..hey he has my money and I have
    his crappy vapouriser :rage: :thumbdown:

7. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi guys .. Well I have had a sort of conclusion to this saga and a quick response all to his credit from
    the manufacture of this piece of junk from Korea I post my email to him and his reply to me

Sorry.
    It seems to be a defect among the products made.
    We are still selling in Korea.
    Would you like a refund?
    Or will I send you back?
    You trusted me and bought it.
    I'm really sorry

plaukeen:

Hello Sir from the UK .. I am having problems with the vapouriser you made and sold to me.. I can tell you that after fitting this to my correct and working correctly Tilley lamp ... that the vapouriser part works initially but then gives an excess amount a fuel into
    the mantle causing it to blacken with flames around it... I am using premium UK paraffin for fuel as I do normally in all my lamps.

To me it appears that the brass heats up causing expansion of the hole ... I have adjusted the height of the needle .. and used the
    vapouriser in good working other tilley lamps I have ... the result is the same ... I am not happy with it ... Can you offer me some advice on these matters .. Thank you for your time ... I regret this purchase
    Mr Albery Day in the UK

So there he admits a faulty product and I await return of funds .. but hey let this be a lesson to
    all hey ..but I am really disappointed ... its all part of " the rich tapestry of life " as they say
    so all please be aware of a certain Korean Gentleman ... Mr

....gksk2146-3

Have a nice day :D/ :thumbup:

8. JonD

JonD Subscriber

That's a sad story - I think you have been very unlucky since others have posted good results with parts from same seller.
    I really doubt it can be the jet hole size increases when hot. It's almost certain to be a leak between jet and body threads. It could be something to look out for with these designs.

I had similar with my Hipolito 502. With that one you could see what was up

DSCN5180.JPG

9. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I would still like to know what the actual cause of the problem is. Maybe you could pop it in the mail to one of the members with engineering experience so that he can analyze and experiment with it Maybe the problem can be fixed...

10. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi all and greetings all .. To the korean gentleman who manufactured this item all to his credit he has
    reimbursed me in full ... as for the item... it has now been recycled from my dwelling and will no doubt be exported from SS Norton and Co , at Liverpool docks... en route some Far Eastern location .. maybe have a later life as a Hyundai car part, or Chinese Motorcycle wheel nut ? .. who knows its fate ?.. For me I am rather superstitcious and do not believe in changing my lifes given luck ...back to NOS Tilley parts ...By the way the 2nd brass nozzle bent the 2nd needle, the 1st nipple hole was enlarged ... a thoroughly bad job .. hey we cannot have everything in life can we !... ah well..... take care to everyone ..:thumbup: :D/

11. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi all .. I have had some 2nd thoughts on these matters , so I E mailed our Korean Gentleman vapouriser manufacturer and accepted well as one forum member said " I was unlucky " .. maybe everyone can have an off day or make mistakes.. it is human nature ....so I asked him if a purchased another and took a chance on another would he please examine it and test it fully in a working lamp before exporting it to me in the UK
    .. Hey ho .. thats the way to go :thumbup:..that way it would surely be good ... no worries ...I thought :?: .... would they do that in Korea..

Regrettably I have a reply " Thanks for the advice " and no confirmation if he would test the product so for me I draw these conclusions ..

1 The quality control department does not exist in Korea
    2 He has lost a further sale.
    3.He must be outsourcing work to another company maybe supplying "dodgy ill fitting parts " .
    4. I am working on another vapouriser enquiry which I will keep you all posted
    5.It is only a vapouriser at the end of the day .... har har :thumbup:

12. Tony Press

@Alby

The very first thing to consider in your recent exchange is “lost in translation”.

The person you are dealing with may be a sole trader, or a hobbyist like you and I.

That person may not have English as a first or even second or third language.

I find in these situations require patience and clear and precise communication.

Cheers

Tony

13. isfuzzy

Looking at this, can happen to any after market manufacturer. There is no telling who is manufacturing anything for anybody now anyways. The problem can be of a couple of factors;

1. Material difference.
    Brass is just a name for an alloy of copper+zinc+ others..
    The exact composition of the elements may and will differ from other manufacturers.
    The expansion coef between them can really be very different. Enough to cause a gas leak when the joints are not ferrule swaged, gasketed, o-ring or sealed.​

2. Manufacturing process
    The original blueprints usually will not contain the processes to manufacturing of parts. Thus, manufacturers may go different paths on producing a part as simple as the jet. Brass and other metals will behave differently when these processes are swaped around.
    An example will be turning a hex brass section, then drilling, cutting threads, polishing sealing surfaces..
    Or rough hot forged hex brass blank, turning, drilling, cutting threads, polishing sealing surfaces..
    Or cold forged brass
    Or die casted brass black, machine to tolerances, polishing
    Or ...
    Or 3D sintering ... the worse option ofcourse...
    So which one is the cause? These are the variables aftermarket manufacturers can face. Infact i faced the same problem even with original Pmax parts in a HK150. That same kind of leak between the sealing area. Flames shoot all around the jet. Black mantle. That is after a day of use.

One aftermarket brass vaporizer in my 300X did that with a Pmax 250cp jet. A gap developed and the 2 brass parts separated permanently after 1 yr of use. So whose to blame? :-k

14. Alby

Alby Subscriber

To all ... some very good answers and theorems here .. seen and duly noted..... and just for Tony in Stinkpot Bay Tasmania ... here is just for you Sir...... please copy and paste in your browser ... some Korean / spoken words also if you want to hear them ...click on the speaker icon .....

https://translate.google.com/?langp...l=ko&text=good morning to you Sir in Tasmania

as per Google translator .... spoken or written languages can be used by anyone and heard and understood anywhere in the world ... provided there is no country internet censorship of course .. .. from around 100 languages..even minor ones .. we do not have a problem today .. good luck ..

:) :thumbup:

15. Tony Press

@Alby

Excellent! :thumbup:

The “lost in translation” comment was about literal meaning versus perceived understanding:

If I say to an American, “I’m pissed”, he/she will think I’m angry, when I’m fact I’m drunk.

I’ve spent a fair bit of the last 20 years in international negotiations. One of the first things I learned was that, in Spanish, the two English words, “shall” and “will” (which have different legal meanings in English), are translated into Spanish by the same Spanish word equating to “will” in English (therefore implying “willingness” rather than compulsion).

Google Translate is good (and getting much better), but even humans find it hard to negotiate these language and cultural boundaries.

Back to the vapouriser:

I’ll re-test mine over the Easter break and get back to you.

Cheers

Tony

16. Tony Press

That should have said, “... when in fact I’m drunk”.

Cheers

Tony

17. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Sequel .. after deep in rumination ...I realise that I had been treated quite correctly and fairly by my Korean hobbyist... come ebay trader ...so well I ordered and bought another since my first vapourizer had not cost me anything ... it arrived today and is fitted ... now this one works well ... I had to adjust the height of the needle a tad , and it seems to be made with newer metals.. so perhaps I was a bit harsh on the guy ... The Tilley Guardsman likes it ..it burns well and using 28 second kerosene is not any problem ... again 2nd vapourizer is supplied with new spare needle and jet .. so I keep my fingers crossed ...and after a humourous play written by the
    " Bard of Avon " William Shakespeare ... it is ' All's well that ends well '

Bye for now ...:thumbup:

18. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber