LANCASTER Nite Hawk # 701

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by karli, Jan 20, 2014.

1. karli

karli Subscriber

Here is my latest lantern from Lancaster lanterns, Pensylvenia.
    It's the Nite Hawk # 701 with 500hk.
    It is missing the handpump and the manometer.
    Only a air valve for a fast airfilling.
    2 ltr gasoline are good for a long lighitng (I didn't test it how long her will light).
    1390222365-A2__2_.jpg 1390222402-A1__2_.jpg 1390222458-a4.jpg 1390222485-a3.jpg 1390222895-A5__2_.jpg

2. Will

As I recall, the lanterns are $300-400. For a collector perhaps that is just the cost of owning a unique lantern. For someone buying the lantern to use though, I can't help but wonder though if the thing is worth the money. Karli, can you comment on since you own one and can compare it to other modern quality lanterns (Coleman or Vapalux)? Perhaps it is better, but is it really 3-4 times better?

Will

3. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

Those parts are not missing,Jake did that because Amish pressurize their lanterns from a compressor. Will he is having problems selling them to his local market because they are well on the way to using propane lanterns. I think the biggest selling feature is the stainless fount with the seam around the middle.I cancelled a seven year wait. Because it was a totally different lantern from what I ordered with a higher price.It is a quality build not polished on most parts.Amish don't like shine. DanL

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A very solidly made lantern! :thumbup:

5. Will

Providing a lantern without a built in pump really perplexes me. That is a feature Coleman saw fit to make standard nearly a century ago. Having to lug around a separate pump, or worse yet a compressor, seems to be going backward in the design process and defeats the point of having a portable source of light.

While clearly a quality piece, some of the design requirements of this lantern make me scratch my head. They really seem to go against what has worked for a long time and had become commonly accepted on portable lanterns.

Will

6. James

James Subscriber

Do the Amish have compressors? Diesel powered ones I suppose? I guess they were not expecting the average user to stray too far from their pump, or perhaps the tank capacity and strength is such that it can run a long time without being repressurised.

They certainly look well made and considering the time and labour involved for a hand-made item not an unreasonable price.

I don't think I would buy one as once UK shipping and taxes are added it would work out around £500 and for that sort of money I could probably get something old and rare like a Jacobean.

7. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

they use diesel ,solar gasoline engines on small appliances,no cars or tractors. The lanterns never leave the farm so compressed air is always close by.I bought an Amish modified Petro Max and it had a schrade valve soldered into the fount.DanL

8. Doug Eisemann

Wow, I can't believe it has been so long since I have checked out the CPL site, let alone posted anything, just too busy since this past summer.
    I thought I would add my 2 cents regarding the Nite Hawk. I have talked with Melvin at Lancaster Lanterns a few times regarding the design revisions that it has undergone in the (quite a few) years since they first came up with the concept.
    He said the original 2 mantle burner design seemed good, but there were a lot of customer complaints after use in the field that it was really finicky to run for some reason. This was the main reason why they chose to go with the single mantle "400" style burner head that was a proven design used for years on their table lamps.
    (I actually find the 400 to be kind of finicky as well!) The preheater torch on some of the early models was abandoned due to quality control problems, and poor reliability, and most Amish customers use an air compressor anyway, as Dan said, so at least the first runs of the new series were built without pumps.
    Most of Lancaster Lantern's new units don't have manometers either, so I think they were deemed unecessary/unreliable as well.
    The entire valve block and burner assembly can be stripped down in a few minutes and all the O-ring seals replaced. I don't think it uses any proprietary gaskets or other whatnots at all.
    That's about all I know personally, but I think it should be a pretty interesting lantern for collectors in now and in years to come, even if it can be debated whether or not it is worth the price.
    Best Regards and glad to be back!
    Doug Eisemann

9. george

george United States Subscriber

I have one of these, too. Built like a brick outhouse. I agree with you, it needs a built in pump, a pressure gage, too. This thing will blind you when you light it up. It's rated at 500 cp but I think it's putting out more than that. They are very well built but very expensive. I had to save a lot of rubles to buy this one. I mentioned to the seller these suggestions and he indicated he would pass them on to manufacturer. In my opinion it's as good as the Coleman 237 but a lot brighter and more expensive.
    Well worth the money?? You have to be the judge.

10. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

I can't seem to find a website for Lancaster Lanterns, is there one?

Alec.

11. george

george United States Subscriber

No, there is no site for this lantern. They are made by the Amish and they have no electricity and therefore, no accress to the internet. They work through a second party (as a rule). This is their belief. Very few worldly comforts. Very nice people. Although how many Amish actually buy these lanterns is still a mystery to me.

12. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I heard/read somewhere that the kids up to the age of 16 aren't required to follow the strict Amish ways. At that age they then have to make the decision how they will spend the remainder of their lives.

I was told the youngsters are the ones who act as intermediaries. Somebody will correct me if that's wrong.

Certainly I've dealt with them (the ones based in Ronks, PA - Leacock - Lilian Esh?) by internet and fax for a generator for my Coleman 252. It was a quick and easy deal - no problems... :thumbup:

13. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

Ah, sorry George, I thought it was made for the Amish not by the Amish.

Alec.

14. PitmanDH

PitmanDH Subscriber

Lancaster Lanterns is alive and well. Melvin King and his family still have the ability to make these lanterns in their shop. Yes - they make them in house and they sell for $365 new with a one year warranty. The Amish community in Lancaster, PA, is moving away from pressure lanterns and primarily use propane and rechargeable battery lamps. Drop me a line if you would like a lantern from Mel and I will forward it onto him. He lives only a few minutes down the road.

His shop is located at:

Lancaster Lanterns
    5264 White Oak Rd
    Paradise, PA 17562

Fair Winds,

Dan

15. Albrecht Italy

Hallo Dan, I've done some days of research about those laterns, and called Melvin King, he gave me his email address but the english spelling confuded me as I'm from Italy :-) , do you have his correct email address? that would be great. best, Albrecht

16. Albrecht Italy

Hallo Karli, I'm looking for one of these lamps - what can I do to get one ?