Late X246 Pork Pie

Discussion in 'X246' started by KAB, Oct 1, 2018.

1. KAB

KAB Subscriber

image.jpg Based on CPL information I believe this to date from around 1949, before Tilley reverted to the dome tanks.

Fully stripped and sprayed with Platikote Brass. New Fettlebox seals and ready for a mantle.

2. Stuart Taylor

Stuart Taylor Subscriber

Looking good. Plastikote is an excellent colour match.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup:

4. Matty

@KAB

That paint job looks sensational. Well done indeed.

I have some projects here that I went to the mainland and bought paint for. Anytime you feel like lending a hand, feel free to give me a hoy.

I do understand that rather large ditch could be a hindrance.

5. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Paint stripper, took a few applications as it was early Tilley paint, not the cheap paint they used on the X246B's. Sprayed with rattle cans - white primer, one coat of Plastikote Brass metallic (too shinny) then a top coat of the Plastikote Brass as shown in the picture.

I'm leaving the underside of the tank with a coat of lacquer as there are traces of the original paint. I've done similar to some of my other lamps so the date markings are visible.

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Lookin good, well done.

7. Matty

With Plastikote, is there a need to put a clear coat over it?

8. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Clear coat ..... mmm??? Spilled some fuel on it for pre-mantle testing, no marks on paint yet. Long term to find out, it is an enamel paint so time will tell.

9. Matty

I don't take any chances especially if I get a really good paint job. I've learnt from bitter experience - clear coat.

I had the opportunity to buy some paint today that is usually out of my price range. It was discounted by 50%. I needed 3 different colours so I took the opportunity to buy the paint for 3 GPA projects.

There is no chance that I won't not clear coat the finished product, I don't care how good the paint is, I'm taking no chances.

Of course, there is no point clear coating if the clear coat can't withstand petroleum products. So, it must be a well selected product.

Perhaps Plastikote can withstand petroleum products or perhaps the Plastikote wasn't affected by the spill because you caught the spill. I had a bitter experience with a Tilley. I'd left pressure and fuel in the fount. There turned out to be a small leak in the NRV and over time that leak allowed the fuel to fill the pump tube and eventually overflow and slow leak onto the paint - unbeknown to me. So, for perhaps a month, the paint had a dribble of kero on it. When I wiped the fount, the fount was wiped clean of paint in that spot.

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations KAB, the old porker has cleaned up nicely. :thumbup: