Leaking m320 when stored

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Degs, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Degs United Kingdom

Hi all,I have recently acquired an ex army m320 lamp which hadn't been used in several years, I changed all the washers and fired it up a fortnight ago and all was fine,released the pressure to turn it off and put it back in the box, I have just had a look at it now and it has been leaking,I presume from the mantle area as the pre- heat bowl is full,the only things I can think of is I re-tightened the pressure relief valve and left the pricker open,was it either of these or do i need to empty the lamp of fuel when not in use? Thanks.

2. george

george Subscriber

If you left the pricker open and the tank cap release the least bit tight, fuel will "creep up" through the vaporizer and "bleed out" into and around the spirit cup. I had a similar experience with one of my Bialaddin lanterns.:cry:

3. Degs United Kingdom

Thanks,hopefully that's the cause.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

My method is as follows, once the pressure has been released and the lantern has cooled down, I make sure that the pressure release is completely loose and I also unscrew the filler cap most of the way, I leave the pricker wire down, but surest way to prevent fuel from rising is to empty the tank.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

What George said. It's happened to me a few times even when I think I've left the pressure release screw open, sometimes it isn't and you get a smelly fuel leak.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes you have to remember that Bialaddin and Vapalux lamps don't have a shut off valve. If you leave fuel in then Jeff's method is essential to prevent fuel bleed through the vaporiser. Better to empty the tank if you are not planning on using the lamp for a while. ::Neil::