Leaky Tilley

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by mauld, Dec 30, 2021.

1. mauld United Kingdom

Hi

New to forum and pressure lamps, so I've got myself a Tilley X246B Stormlight, It required a washer/seal service kit which I obtained from Tilley. fitted the kit and I have a leak.

P1020276.JPG

new seal tightened finger tight then beyond finger tight and still seepage from base of control cock. Any help resolving this issue much appreciated.

In addition my first mantle fitting, doesn't quite look right

P1020277.JPG
    Regards
    Malc

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Did you fit a new seal to the bottom of the control cock, if so, then is the control cock tightened properly?

Sometimes mantles do form misshapened and the quality of modern Tilley mantles is poor, but that one looks to be working okay.

3. mauld United Kingdom

You mean 155 Washer valve? I did fit a new one and tightened finger tight, now I wonder did I fit it the right way round Ill check tomorrow.
    ex_cock-500x500.jpg

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I think Jeff was referring to washer 160.

Tony

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Yes, I meant the 160 washer and finger tight is not always enough.

6. mauld United Kingdom

Yes I fitted that also, I fitted the Service pack 1 from tilly: Service pack 1
    [​IMG]

I may obtain some additional washers from Fettlebox.

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, when it comes to that 160 washer I'd always assumed it meant thumb-tight i.e. if necessary, use your thumb to push against the control cock spigot to tighten. Do not, on any account, use your thumb to press against the knob otherwise you'll bend the shaft. Mind you, you shouldn't have to use that much force to effect a seal and if you do, that indicates something else is wrong.

To be honest, I'd doubt the quality of anything emanating from Tilley themselves. You've only got to look at that excuse for the 234 gland washer in the pic above to see what I mean. Maybe Ross at The Fettlebox (see, and click on, the advert towards the top right of this page) can supply you with a couple of his Viton 160 washers.

It's also possible the leak is actually from the gland nut and the fuel is running down and giving the impression of a leak from the 160 washer. Again, Ross supplies two Viton o-rings in his kits to replace of the single 234 shown above. Hope that helps...

8. mauld United Kingdom

Yes I was looking for some views on the quallity of parts from Tilley, I mean that metal pump washer at the back, is that really the best one they could find for the picture on thier website.
    I agree its an order to fettlebox to resolve this issue. Ive aready had a vapulux kit from them and ordered a second for another vapalux M1.

Thanks to all for you helpfull replies.

9. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Mauld
    You’re getting great advice about washers there :thumbup:

About the only thing I can think of besides a bit of crud or foreign body interfering with the seal is perhaps an issue with the alu control tap.
    I did have one that after I had removed a seal from it, I tried it in the tank and found that it didn’t screw in completely..
    the alu taps are not the best quality sadly :thumbdown:

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

It probably was and, sadly, that just about sums up Tilley today... :roll: ](*,)

11. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

Hi @mauld
    May be a long shot…but have you removed the cage securing nut at all..?
    It looks like the control cock is fouling on it and therefore not sealing correctly to the tank. The securing nut is slightly recessed on one side, I always believed it to allow a slightly greater clearance and snug fit of the washer.
    Gary

12. mauld United Kingdom

Not so much of a long shot Gary, fitted some loctite 55 to help seal the thread and noticed the washer was splaying out over the securing nut and curling up slightly at the edge, I trimed it with a knife while it was fitted to match the control cock outer diameter this improved things. I did have the nut off so probably it's now the wrong way round. I'll order up some viton washers and try that when they arrive.

13. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

The washers are the obvious thing to consider - but I did once have a vapouriser that leaked at the join of the tube and the threaded insert.

14. kettle

With these aluminium type jobbies, youve git a couple of sensible bits of advice so far, presumably you haven't got any spurs on either of the mating faces, but i find sometimes overly thin washers can be a problem. Unscew cage nut, check for physical fouling, clean mating faces, look at the imprint on the washer and do it up tight with hand, repressurise and watch for source of leak.

15. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

Could also be that the leak comes from the packing or the sealing ring (part no. 234) in the retaining nut of the control cock. Sometimes it is not easy to determine from where the fuel comes. However, it will collect in a certain place and possibly indicate a wrong cause. If it were the sealing ring/washer (part no. 160) from the tank to the control cock, I would rather assume an air loss than a fuel leak.

16. mauld United Kingdom

I carried out a dunk test and there was no leaking air.

17. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

That is not what I meant! My opinion is that the sealing ring/washer (part no. 160) from the tank to the control cock is all right, but the leak could be at the sealing ring (part no. 234) in the retaining nut of the control cock. So no air leak, but fuel sipping out from the control cock and collecting around the cage securing nut. Exactly what David described above (right in the bottom of that post).