Lilor 4500

Discussion in 'Lilor - Liotard Frères' started by James, Oct 2, 2015.

1. James

James Subscriber

Unfortunately this Lilor was electrocuted and they vandalized pretty much every part. Aside from drilling a few holes in it, the valve assembly appears to have been drilled out meaning the seat for the shut-off needle valve is gone. Several bits are also missing, such as the pricker carrier and the jet. I think it will be a shelf queen only.

There is a large asbestos disc between the tank and the frame, presumably to reduce heat transfer to the tank.

1443806696-lilor2.jpg

1443806708-lilor1.jpg

1443806715-lilor3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Too bad about the electrocuting. I think these lanterns looks very nice, and they use a technology that appeals to me very much.
    It might be hard to restore yours if they destroyed so much.

As a matter of fact I just got overbid on exactly one of those as usual only ten minutes ago!
    I had a bid at bidnapper on this one, but ended up as second. It was complete apart from one of the control wheels, so it would have been a perfect "first Lilor" for me. Nice patina too.
    Hopefully the new owner (I think I know who it is...) can restrain himself from polishing this beautiful, deep golden nuance away. [-o<

3. James

James Subscriber

Well I hope whoever bought it can help me out with some photos of the internals of the valve assembly when they take it apart. I would like to see what the spindle screws into.

4. Carlsson

I'm sure it will be posted here eventually, but unless you've not seen it, perhaps you could be helped with the pictures Conny posted of his other 4500 [url=http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/4306

5. James

James Subscriber

Yes I have seen Conny's photos. What I need to find out is how the threaded valve spindle shuts off the fuel. I think the arrangement is something like this (excuse the crude drawing):

1443814254-lilor4.jpg

6. Carlsson

Ah. I see.
    I doubt it is like in your drawing. Since the spindle top is tapered, it's more likely that the sealing is made on that part, so to speak.
    Hard to explain, but surely the fuel should enter axial to a tapered spindle as it normally does with a shut-off valve with a conical seat?
    The sectional drawing you show doesn't give a trusty seal, and would hardly have been used on a petrol lantern.

7. James

James Subscriber

Hmm ok maybe something like this would work better. Harder to make mind you.

1443815385-lilor5.gif

8. Carlsson

Yep. That's more like it, thank you. :lol: ;)

Details are important, mind you.
    And frankly it's generally the other way around, i.e. that the fuel enters "frontal" to the spindle. You should rotate the centre piece 180 degrees. That way the pressure is totally shut off also from the spindle gland/boxing nut once screwed in.

I'm sure Conny, or anyone else who's having this lantern, will help you out on this specific detail in particular, but I doubt it's made different than most others.

9. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi James, Sorry the lantern was electrocuted. I may have some parts left over from my first 4500 restoration, that was "cobbled" together with parts from one and a half lantern (one nickel plated and the other one brass). I´ve looked at the burner for helping you out about the valve. It ought to be as Christer says but I´m not quite sure it is in reality( I need to cut the burner in half to be sure enough, but I don´t think it is necessary.

Well........ I don´t think my MO should be excessive polishing. I do polish lamps when there´s no alternative left, in my mind (wanting to have a nice looking lamp/lantern on my shelves.

My 4500 was a combo of two lanterns where the nickel plated one had a plating beyond restore. Removing the nickel means stripping the thing into bare brass (the 4500 was offered in both a nickeled and brass version). Other lamps/radiators with - bad nickel plating, oxidised and corroded, fuel stained and dirty, scarred surface - I have also grinded and polished, to get a nice looking lamp.
    Others with good original patina I have just washed with soap. Time and oxygen are also nice factors concerning brass. The patina is only some years away.

Well I´ve not sure about the new one; but a citric bath, polishing tools and steel wool are all ready now.... ;) :? :roll:

/Conny

1443990028-Lilor_lanterns.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  10. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Well, as Conny, I am not absolutely sure because it is difficult to see in the inside
    but I can remember this seems very close to the LOR burner. I know you have such a burner.
    Good luck