Lind-O-Lite 116 find

Discussion in 'Lind-O-Lite' started by dwillie, Aug 15, 2015.

1. dwillie United States

I have wanted one of these for years, being from Wisconsin. I have had a couple lamps, but never had a lantern in hand. i about dropped over when I saw this. lol. I replaced the pip with a cut down Tilley NRV gasket. checked over the fount, and it was clean. Got lucky, as it a great runner with little smell, and very quiet with the ceramic burner cap. A bit used but tells its own story. Darien
    1439676086-Lindolite_001.JPG 1439676128-lindolite_005.JPG 1439676183-lindolite_007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

An excellent find! :thumbup:

3. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

These Lind-O-Lite lanterns are probably the best that came out of the 1930s. 116 dates from 1936-1939 and like most L&H product looks around 30 years younger than that. ::Neil::

5. dwillie United States

the instant light feature is a stretch on this one. I just turn the valve nearly off and wait after lighting, as it does flame a bit. Might be better with lower pressure. I have only fired it a couple times, so I may get better at it with practice. I didnt remove the valve on this, as it was clean and passed air when tested. It ran last night for 6 hours, and never needed a pump.
    Thanks for the replies!

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That valve is best left. This is one piece of kit that really don't need fixing if it aint broke. The valve shaft has a reverse needle valve on the end which is screwed to the spindle with a left hand thread. It is very easy to unscrew the spindle too hard and break the needle valve end off. Major problem then because you can't shut off the air feed so the lamp burns weak and needs constant pumping. You also need to be careful when operating the valve. It has to be fully unscrewed to shut off the instant lighting air feed but again if you are heavy handed it can shear off the spindle end. So a clever device but the design is problematical in use. ::Neil::