Looking for three decals that go on rear of heater reflector.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Peter Unwin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Peter Unwin United States

I am looking for the three decals that go on the back of the reflector of the R 55 radiator heater. One is the Tilley decal, the second one reads: A W Thatcher, Florida, and the last one is about 3" long and 1/2" wide. I thought the guy in the UK Sells them as a set or individually . Anyone have any ideas where I can get these.

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

4. Peter Unwin United States

Thanks. By the way I want to spray paint back of reflector before I get the decals. Since I don't want to ruin the decals. Can u recommend a good paint that is heat resistant before I apply the decals. The reflector has a tendency to get hot while I preheat the vaporizer. As you know if u don't allow enough time for vaporizer to get hot enough kerosene will run down the side of vaporizer and will produce some good size flames if you open the fuel cock to soon. Then I find myself having to start over. A heads up I am using a preheat cup to get vaporizer hot enough. Unfortunately it's taking a few times to preheat the vaporizer hot enough.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    What colour paint? I’ve used a VHT-brand gold paint that’s close to the original Tilley gold. It’s the one you bake at 94C (200F).

Do you use a pre-heat shroud for priming? They were standard on these heaters:

Repro Draught Shield for Tilley R1 and similar

Cheers

Tony

@Peter Unwin

6. Peter Unwin United States

Yes I am using a heat shield that fits over the burner. The color of paint is almost looks like a very light copper color on the back side of the reflector. I use a preheat cup and use denatured alcohol .
    Thanks
    Pete Unwin