Making Primus 1020 cleaning needles

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nils Stephenson, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It has been mentioned a few times in different threads, so I thought I might as well try and describe how I make my own cleaning needles for the Primus 1020 (and all the other models with this burner).

To start with I use two different sizes of brass tubing. The reason I use two tubes is that I don't have the skills or facilities to drill a small hole in a 2mm rod. I use 1mm outside diameter with a 0.4mm hole and 2mm outside dimater with a 1mm hole. I have purchased them from an online model/hobby shop and they were relatively inexpensive. I also use stainless steel acupuncture needles in 0.18mm diameter, again bought online.

Here is a picture of some of the items I use.
    IMG_4287.jpg

First off I cut 7mm lengths of the two tubes using a dremel with a cutting disc.
    IMG_4289.jpg

I then put the 1mm tube inside the 2mm tube, put in the acupuncture needle, then crimp half the length of the tubing to fix the needle.
    IMG_4290.jpg

Next up I hold the tubing in a drill chuck then cut a #2 UNF thread on the non crimped half.
    IMG_4291.jpg

Finally I cut off the needle at 2.5mm and it's good to go.
    IMG_4293.jpg

A bit fiddly, but the result works and I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. :)

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

A very good technique, Nils! I will certainly try it out some time. K&S Hobby Metals make the correct diameters of brass tubing. I have used it to make cleaning needles for various Coleman lanterns. On the Coleman cleaning needles, the crimping is the hardest part to get right, I've found.

3. Nils Stephenson

Yes, sometimes I have to straighten the crimped part before cutting the thread.

Ideally for the Primus needles it should be 2.1mm, but I havn't found this size anywhere.

I have also used the same idea for Austramax cleaning needles. They're not very common here in Denmark. :)

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Great fettling!:thumbup::clap::D/:D/:clap::thumbup:

5. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Thanks Nils. Great stuff

6. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

I found that the needle rod contained in the 24x Coleman Generators also is a thin brass tube. I've already used that one to make needles for my Ditmar lanterns in a very similar way. However, I've currently no measurements (inner/outer diameter) at hand.

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, Nils.

I’ve got a Gloria that I need to do this with.

What’s that crimping tool brand?

I’ve used an electrician’s crimping tool, but it’s a bit narrow and the crimp a bit severe, so I’ve gone to using the edge of a flat piece of steel and a peen hammer.

Cheers

Tony

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Excellent technique Nils :thumbup:

9. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thank you, Martin.

Cheers

Tony

11. Nils Stephenson

The crimping tool is not perfect, but it is the best I have at the moment. It tends to crimp a bit lopsided, so I try to turn the tube and crimp a second time from the other side. The best solution would be something that has an even pressure from several directions at once. I thought I found one at work that would be ideal with six jaws, but the jaws were spring loaded and didn't have the strength to crimp the brass tube.

12. tretrop

tretrop Sweden Subscriber

One of the highend crimptools , this one does a 8-indent crimp would be your best tool for this. Price is around 100-300 USD
    [​IMG]
    crimptool

13. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Here is a Chinese knock-off on ali-express
    Screenshot_20190107-200627_Chrome.jpg

14. Nils Stephenson

These are the type of crimping tool I tried, but the jaws were not strong enough to crimp the rather thick brass tube. I expect the ones shown would also have a problem. It would be good if we could find some that do work. I'd buy some. :)

15. MYN

I have one of those 4 sided ones that crimps into a square profile instead of hexagonal. They are meant for wire ferrules/pins and won't be strong enough if the brass tubes or copper cable links that are too thick. I have yet to find any hydraulically actuated types which are that small.
    No harm buying those Chinese knockoffs to try out as they are relatively inexpensive.
    Branded ones such as Knipex, Lappkabel, etc would cost much more.
    I've been inspired by @Nils Stephenson to make my own Primus cleaning needle. Unfortunately, I couldn't any acupuncture needles to make the crimped type.

16. Jan-Ove Lorentzen

Jan-Ove Lorentzen Norway Subscriber