mantle burn-in - gone brown :(

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Paraffinhead, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Paraffinhead

Paraffinhead United Kingdom Subscriber

Just fitted a new nozzle & mantle to my Anchor 909. I used spirit to preheat & burn the mantle in rather than the quick start (not really practical to do this outside the lamp as it passes through the vapouriser coil) however the mantle is now largely brown. Will this clean up with use or is it throw away & replace?

Paul.

2. Matty

If you have a propane torch, use it to run over your mantles and it will usually burn off the mantles properly.

3. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Welcome to the forum @Paraffinhead !
    Maybe a small introduction of yourself ?

Did you use the amntle or only burned off ?

4. Paraffinhead

Cant be done with the Petromax clones - the burned mantle would have to pass through the vaporiser tube loop without damage.

5. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Just to make things clear; did you just pre-burn the mantle by letting a portion of alcohol in the pre-heater cup burn it?
    And that you still haven't really lit the lantern at all?
    If so, it's nothing to worry about. The mantle will turn white (and get fuller) as soon as you start the lantern for real If everything else is working.

Normally you just pre-burn your mantles by igniting them directly at the lowest part, and then let the glow wander all over and around it. Perhaps with some aid by gently blowing on it to speed things up a bit. When you do it that way, it always turn out white and nice.
    Not that it matters much. To use the spirit cup will do the same thing, just with some initial discolouration sometimes. I would not use the pre-heater torch at all for this.

6. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

No problem !
    You need a steady hand and have decided to do with it after taken out....

7. Paraffinhead

Hi sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Paul, live in a former mining village in Nottinghamshire, UK. I recently started collecting items of "paraffinalia" and found that my wife actually sees a point in the pressure lamps!
    So far I have a Tilly 246, possibly a BR49, 2 x Anchor 909 (one unfired), a Vapalux (car boot sale find) and possibly another 246 if it ever turns up! I'll be posting about the possible BR49 later...

Paul.

8. Paraffinhead

First mantle I fitted burned in ok with the quick start. When it started flaming out & I broke the nozzle I fitted one of the mantles (Red Heart) that came with the nozzle set - 500cp I believe. These are not burning in properly with either spirit or quick start, ending up with large brown patches that do not burn off. Probably time to try another make of mantle I suppose. Being a Petromax style the mantle has to pass through the vaporiser coil so it isn't practical to burn in out of the lamp as it will catch the coil & break.

Paul.

9. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Welcome, Paul and can you post pictures of the mantle and lantern?
    Are you using ordinary methylated spirit for pre-heating?
    During pre-heating is the fount without pressure and the air release screw open?
    One can remove the inner hood on the Pmax& clones without damaging the mantle. Best to look downwards through the inner hood while doing this and lift the inner hood with both hands so the mantle is centered in the loop and does not touch anything.

10. bp4willi Germany

Mantles can turn brown and black, getting sooted, even in "normal" operation, if some parameters (fuel, air, temperature) get out of range.

Nothing to worry about. Fix the problem and start the lantern over again.
    Stains should disappear within few minutes.
    Of course, the soot on the mantle can also be burnt off with help of a blue flame lighter (stormproof lighter, creme brulee burner, soldering burner, etc)

11. Paraffinhead

I swapped the mantle to an Anchor 300-400cp & the issue is sorted - looks like the 500cp long mantle is not a happy partner. Interestingly the unfired lamp has a factory-fitted long mantle. One day maybe I'll fire it up & see.

12. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

They may be cheap, but I've had very good results with Butterfly mantles.

13. Matty

Indeed they can. In fact, I got tired of simply lighting the mantles with a match and now always use a torch. Burning in by lighting the mantles with a flame can be hit and miss plus I often find the mantles don't burn in past the nozzle.

Using a torch to burn in the mantles means nothing is missed, they are uniformally bright white and the mantles form beautifully.

14. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I agree with Matty on using a butane torch to burn off mantles. It gives a very good result. But I've found that the built-in rapid preheat torch on the Pmax types often creates so much turbulence that it damages the new mantle if used for burn-in. Once the mantle is formed and set, using the built-in torch for pre-heating is of course OK.
    Nothing inherently wrong with using the 500cp long rosette type mantles on the Pmax or clones. They usually form into a beautiful rounded pear or avocado shape.

15. MYN

Welcome paraffinhead.
    No worries on the browned mantles. Just burn it further with another cup of spirit if a whiter pre-burn is preferred.
    I have some Redheart mantles but these are rather old stock and this version's probably meant more for the local market in China. 'Hongxin' brand, meaning Redheart brand with the same logo. Printed mostly in Chinese on their waxed paper packagings. They burn great.