Mantles for Coleman 327

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Juan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Juan

What mantles have I to buy? I usually adapt bigger mantles but I'm a little tired to do so and want to buy some mantles. And for a 220E?

Juan

2. Doron Papo

Doron Papo

Use Coleman #21 for that
    or any 300cp mantles.
    I use texport brand and they are quite good as a coleman #21 replacements
    texport_front.jpg

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Those Colemamn twin mantle 300 cp lanterns work well on Coleman #21A mantles but they will run on a smaller mantle. Coleman #20 will work fine and any 150 to 200 cp single tie mantle will be OK. Most folk use 21s because they are the easiest to find and buy. They are a bit big for a twin mantle lamp as you are fitting 600 cp worth of mantle to a 300 cp lamp but they do seem to be quite forgiving and adapt well to the smaller gas flow. ::Neil::

4. furry flivver

Hi all: I use 21's on on all Coleman lanterns and lamps except the small backpacking verity. (and kero Coleman's as I have never owned one.) This post aroused my curiosity as I have used the 21 style mantle on my Coleman lamps and lanterns since the late 50's as a boy. I went out to my mantle stash and examined "nos" mantles in their original packaging from the 20's to a package I bought three days ago.( the modern package list both single and double mantle Lanterns/lamps as correct for the #21) They all are the same size as the modern 21's and the older ones 60's back to 20's do not have a model number on them, apparently in those days Coleman thought one size fit all before the advent of the small backpacking lanterns and the in-between sizes made since. I recently saw a post on this site regarding thorium (radioactivity) in older mantles. I have long been aware of this but never tested mine. I shall do so and post it on that thread as soon as I get my ancient Geiger counter running, apparently after years of non use, unlike old Coleman products it refuses to run. Mike...

old(50's?) and just purchased
    1296659867-SANY1376_1_3_1.JPG

Attached Files:

5. mcdugal2

I like Peerless 2C-HG mantles. They are the #21/#21A equivalent. They are Thorium mantles and are manufactured in the Philippines.. There is also a #99 Equivalent: The Peerless/Lancaster lantern #24A. The 237 takes the #11/#1111 from both Coleman and Peerless, but will also use a Petromax 500CP mantle in a pinch. However the P-max mantles will touch the generator....

6. DaveD

I use a Peerless #111 and/or the Lancaster 24A for my 237 and 236 lanterns. I like the Peerless or Lancaster much better than the coleman mantles as they seem to burn quite a bit brighter and are more durable.

Cheers
    Dave