Merry Christmas one and all!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

This was one of my Christmas presents.... it will definitely come in handy!

IMG_20181225_143534.jpg

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I assume that it's for making pump leathers etc.?

3. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@ColinG

A lovely gift to receive. Any chance of some further details ie make and model number etc.

Merry Christmas and kind regards.

Jeremy

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Also seals, washers etc...

5. ColinG

So, the set came from eBay and the sellers name is jw_tools. It was described as a 13 in 1 Hole punch set 5mm to 35mm cutting dies for gaskets leather card.

Manufactured by Neilson: ref no. CT1540 and it cost £22.95

It might not be any good but it seems well made as far as I can tell and looks pretty robust plus it'll only get used infrequently.

Hope this helps

6. ColinG

Exactly as David says, it's for making pump leathers, washers and seals out of leather and viton. It has a central marking point for aligning the cutters which is fairly essential for making concentric washers and pump blanks. Definitely looking forward to trying it out!

7. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@ColinG

Thanks for the information, and I'm sure the quality will be fine. It looks to be a much more substantial set than my old hollow punches and the centralising facility will take the guesswork out of making washers.

Regards Jeremy

8. scl

scl Subscriber

let me know how well it works.

9. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi Guys well I weakened and made a purchase from tool-time on E bay ...£21.95 ... I used it yesterday to cut a leather piece for my Bladon B51 blow lamp ...and make a pump washer to fit ... so I cut my circle of leather from 2mm soft piece and use the tool to cut out an inner circle from the centre of the leather piece. By sharp hammer blow at the top.

It worked 1 st time , I then made the u cup shape by soaking the leather circle piece in oil and drawing through a little pipe device by screw and wing nut ... after a soak and pressure overnight in the pipe this morning I fitted without any problem.. after trimming the cup edges with a sharp scissors ... Amazing , so easy and well worth the trouble.

The washer on the Bladon was a non standard Tilley/Vapalux size ... much smaller and well after fitting and oiling up it really sits good and does its job .. The leather was 2 mm and soft. Flame and power more strong and tank really pressurized from the B51.. I have a good few of these old brass blow lamps..

Leather hole punch nice. It will work and give a real nice clean punch cut on a few materials.:thumbup:

10. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It's called blocking and you shape leather and fix by dipping in water just off the boil and then shove your leather disc into a suitable sized tube and let it dry. I don't do it much now but I did make a lot of cup washers and I still do if I need an odd size. Here are the mandrels for a variety of sizes. For common stuff like Tilley I cut up some old pump tubes so they were just long enough to hold the leather and because they were shoprt enough I can unscrew the mandrel and withdraw it and leave maybe a dozen or so leathers drying out at a time. For really odd sizes you can make a wooden mandrel and shape the leather in the pump tube. Takes a little longer to dry but will enable some very odd sizes. ::Neil::
    !!Washer making kit.jpg
    !!Pump_leather_mandrels.jpg

11. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Thank you for sharing @Mackburner
    I’ll make a few mandrills and give it go.
    Cheers
    Pete

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

You might find this small spread sheet interesting. I made this years ago when I was turning out cups in quantity. Doesn't show things like the FL6 types or some of the smaller types used in some small stoves but it pretty well covers the lamp field. ::Neil::

Attached Files:

13. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Top stuff there :thumbup: ... Many thanks