Mixed Fortunes

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Gazngoz, May 9, 2020.

1. Gazngoz United Kingdom

As you know I recently sourced a 1957 Guardsman off eBay to dip my toe in the CPL fettling world. As luck would have it a x246b also also came my way complete with sp1 so I thought I'd have a play with that before I took the Guardsman to pieces ( I'm great at getting stuff apart it's putting it back together and having no bits left over that can be a challenge).
    The lamp cleaned up reasonably well, I got all the new seals and springs in and it even made a valiant effort at producing light. The mantle did glow white but the output was quite dim. When pumping I can't feel pressure building but it must be to get the paraffin up to the burner to ,well, burn ! I thought maybe taking the atomiser out tomorrow and maybe a bit of wet and dry on the pricker. No great drama thought I. Whilst not yet a resident of the smug zone I thought I was at least on the estate agents mailing list. Turned the lamp off, sat talking with her indoors and there was a loud ping followed by a crack making its way across the globe ! Hey ho back to the drawing board tomoz.
    Still a little excited that it lit

2. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

What a shame.
    Please share some pics so we can all enjoy your triumph at producing light, and the bitter taste of disappointment over the broken glass :)

3. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done on getting her lit.
    We all like to see the “money shot” (the photo of the lantern’s first light after restoration). We all get our rocks off seeing these photos that confirms a successful operational fettle.
    Bad luck on the glass cracking it’s a 171 glass globe still readily available. We all have experienced a glass cracking or 2.

Now the next lantern..........

Cheers
    Pete

4. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Gazngoz

Sorry to hear of your glassy misfortune, to date I have only ever had this happen once and that was on a Bialaddin 320. To be perfectly honest all other breakages have been caused by my own haste and clumsiness which I fine more annoying still. Keep us informed of progress and post a pic or two.

Regards Jeremy

5. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

If your mantle has a hole in it then it could possibly aim a direct jet of heat towards the glass maybe causing the breakage. If you look at the glass it may have a circular heat spot. I hope this helps
    Regards Ian.

6. Gazngoz United Kingdom

Sorry all fell of the interweb for a while there. Had another look at the globe that went ping and there is some scratching evident on the glass so I think (hope) that was my stress point that led to the crack. Had another fettle and she burns more brightly, at least it looks brighter in daylight - will light it again in the gloaming and hopefully get a shot showing luminous brilliance and the local children will tell their grandchildren about the day the sun set and then rose again shortly afterwards
    In the absence of any local carboots off to plunder eBay for a globe. Laters

7. Gazngoz United Kingdom

The camera was kind, but please find below the money shots of my first fettle. The Guardsman is next :lol:

Not only did ebay come up with a new globe but there may be an X246a on its way too. Ive also found a mystery lamp on fb marketplace that Im going to collect in the week. Its listed as a Tilly (sic) but isnt so lets see what it turns out to be. The guy reckons its 60 years old so who knows.

Thanks for all the help on this - this fettling lark may indeed be addictive

Stay safe

IMG_20200726_213022.jpg IMG_20200726_213539.jpg

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's working well!:thumbup:

9. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Great light up GaznGoz. Is that a road hog perched beside the road warning lamp?

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations :thumbup:

11. Gazngoz United Kingdom

@Jean J thanks. What a good name - I have the one in the picture and another with him on a bike and sidecar combo - never heard them referred to as road hogs before but that is what they shall be from this point hence :D/

12. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Nicley lit sir ! - looks like a great lamp. :clap:

13. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Well done she looks perfect, and I'm sure that the sun is still shining. Top job, bummer about the globe though.