Movement of Akron 132-42 to American Milspec section

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by Alex Smith, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Dear Mods,

Would it be possible to move the threads below from "American/Other Brands" to "American/Milspec" please? This will help build a full picture of US military lanterns.

Both lanterns are Akron 132 and stamped "US" on the underside of the fount, thus US military issue.

My thread:

Akron 132-42

@Norman also has posted the same make of lantern, complete with US stamp on fount:

Akron No. 132-5-42

Regards,

Alex

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Not sure about the Milspec. I moved them both to Akron for now, but they can be moved to milspec later on.

@Mackburner

3. Alex Smith

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

None of those are Milspec lanterns. Military yes but Milspec is specifically a single mantle USQM specification leaded fuel lantern with an aluminium generator without a pricker so "military specification" or Mil-Spec. The above are civilian lanterns purchased for military use so belong in the brand or makers gallery not Milspec. ::Neil::

5. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Very good Neil.
    So these two can remain in the Akron gallery I placed them in earlier, right?

6. Alex Smith

@Mackburner thank you for your clarification, it is appreciated. @Carlsson thank you for your help, at least they are now in the Akron gallery.

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I think they should stay there yes. A lot of government agencies, such as military and civil defence, in various countries used pressure lamps. Some are marked and some not. In general they are civilian models and should be listed with the original brands and makers. Milspec on the other hand is a specific design from several different makers and only applies to that one type of lantern specified by the USQM. In that case only it make sense to list the various makes in one gallery since the lamps don't have model numbers (Except Coleman) but do have makes and dates as variations. ::Neil::