My first Tilley

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Emiel, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Emiel

Emiel Netherlands Subscriber

Hi guys,

Just picked up my very first Tilley lamp. After using my trusty 'little' Petromax 829 during some recent camping trips I realized I needed something a bit smaller to light the inside of the Teepee. Unfortunately the Petromax HK150 was not available for a reasonable price and by accident I stumbled upon this Tilley. Its a bit of a fixer upper but I don't mind the challenge.
    The lamp seems to be complete and came apart very easily. Immediately it became clear the packings will need to be replaced so I will head down to the Fettlebox to see whats available.
    I could use some advice on the rusty hood. How should I proceed with the restoration? Just sand everything down including the enamel still present and paint it black with heat resistant paint?

Please see photo's below. What do you guys think? Worth the effort of a fettle or just strip it down for parts to use in a future project?

ps. this is the forth lamp I came home with in a couple of weeks time. . Is there a cure for this madness?

20200102_192631.jpg 20200102_192659.jpg 20200102_192944.jpg 20200102_192954.jpg 20200102_193623.jpg

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That is a Tilley X-246-A lantern and the date code is for November 1963 and it should restore well enough, I would just give the hood a good clean and then use it as it is.

The lamping bug bites deeply!:thumbup:

This link shows the relevant page.

X246A

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello and welcome. You have a Tilley X246A in pretty good condition. The question of what to do with corroded hoods often comes up and many people have tried to find a paint that will withstand the temperatures but regardless of what you might find... like high temperature finishes or engine paints, none of them actually work on a pressure lantern hood - the temperatures are simply too high. The only surface treatments that can withstand those levels of heat are vitreous enamel or metal plating such as chrome or nickel. Your only real options are keeping the hood as it is or finding a replacement on eBay. They come up quite frequently and if you wait you'll find a bargain I'm sure.

The frame can be stripped of rust and sprayed if you want it to look better but the topmost section will gradually degrade over time.

Whichever path you choose, someone here will help I'm sure.

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Emiel , there is no cure for this madness, non at all.
    You’ve got a good reliable Tilley. Easily serviced and maintained, it’ll make a good user.
    As @JEFF JOHNSON and @ColinG said, just get it going and use it and a replacement hood will turn up soon enough.

Happy fettling, Stevie

5. Emiel

Thanks so much for the support. First step will be to clean it and get the lamp running.

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Emiel
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    The X246A will be a good fettling project. It’s been already said, however I like to reiterate that as you move further into collecting lamps, parts will become available.
    There is no cure for this lamp bug, resistance is useless, just enjoy the ride.
    Cheers
    Pete

7. Alby

Alby Subscriber

I bought 2 of these on Facebook marketplace last year summer 2019 in Cornwall UK ... only £20 I was at my daughters and he arrived and I had em ... They are superb lanterns well finished, solid and highly recommended ... after I dusted them off ...cleaned the grime and fish scales off from the pilchard shed , swilled them out .. fired em up ..I even had 1 of them running off diesel the other night .. it went really well amazing .. No issues .:thumbup: :D/ ya hey ..

8. Emiel

- cleaned it
    - installed new washers
    - installed new mantle
    My first Tilley is alive.
    20200109_195621.jpg

9. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Looking good! It’s a great feeling when a lamp pops in to life. It’ll be lonely though, so time to get it a friend or two.....

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent!:thumbup::thumbup:

11. Emiel

Couldn't agree more! Also the first light of an old Optimus 1550 tonight (after a minor fettle).

optimus 1550.jpg

12. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

The 246A is an interesting model halfway between the Guardsman and the 246B. It's also relatively rare as they didn't make it for very long.

13. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Emiel

She runs well and should be perfect for your tent.

Happy collecting!

Regards Jeremy

14. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Emiel
    Well done and congratulations on a fine job on both lanterns.
    Cheers
    Pete

15. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations Emiel :thumbup:

16. Emiel

Thanks for the encouragement and support.