1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum's X246B...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by TinkerPhil, Jul 31, 2017.

1. TinkerPhil Canada

Hi
    Today my brother gave me our mum's Tilley 246B lamp as I was looking for a lamp to take on a scout camp.
    Its in a pretty poor state and I'm in two minds about it - should I try and bring it back to its former glory and present it to my mum or just make it work and use it for scouts
    It has patently been unused for man many years. It looks like the warmer os there but no sign of the funnel. The black top seems to be rusty, the frame holding the glass is very rusty and the base itself seems to be rusty too (I thought this was brass!)
    Would anyone give some advice as to what its future should be?
    I'm happy to put a bit of elbow grease into it but I don't want to waste my time
    Is there a step by step guide to restoring an X246B?
    Thanks
    Phil

2. Hanzo United States

I've owned a handful of X246B's but mine were either NOS or in good shape. So much rust everywhere including the tank/fount may not make yours a good candidate to get running again . You'll need new seals, probably rebuild of the pump , maybe a new vaporizer. Replacement parts are still available and easy to get. The X246B were such a common lantern that a huge number are on ebayuk. Many are barely used and can be fettled to run more easily than yours. Or you may see one that can serve as a parts lantern for yours if you are really attached to the idea of getting it running.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    OK, "bringing it back to its former glory" is going to cost you more than it'll ever be worth so unless it has particular sentimental value, it may be better just to get it running again (still won't be cheap, though, but at least you'd not be replacing the hood, globe cage and possibly tank at vast expense). In any case that would make the lantern somewhat akin to Trigger's hammer - he'd had it 30 years and replaced the head twice and the shaft five times - but it was the same hammer. Or was that Arkwright's broom? Anyway...

Edit: Neither - it was Granville's broom

Best of luck with it, whatever you decide to do. I'd offer to give you a hand with it myself but Bideford's a bit too far for me - that's where we would go for our holidays from up here! Maybe there's a forum member who lives down there who'd be pleased to help. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. KAB United Kingdom

A good rub down and a complete set of seals could give you a working lamp for scout use if the vaporizer isn't too worn. Not much of an issue if it gets knocked about at camp. Have a chat with some local leaders who may already have the knowledge.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Founder Member

I think it was Trigger's broom. Great clip.

6. TinkerPhil Canada

I think "getting it working" is the order of the day.
    I will take a before shot of it and then go for it.
    My plan of attack is
    1 order a "service pack" - do these exist? any suggestions appreciated
    2 add some sort of dismantling fluid to the bolt that holds the frame etc to the base
    3 remove frame etc
    4 "lemon juice and tin foil" the frame
    5 clean the base and maybe brasso it - actually I think paint it - is there an easy source for the gold paint?
    6 scratch my head about how to remove the rust from the 'lid'
    7 get some meths and paraffin
    8 apply the service pack and put it all back together again
    9 run joyously around the garden at night with a working bit still quite rusted Tilley lamp

Please feel free to chip in with advice but I'm going to try and make a goer of it
    That said, I'm still in the S.E. so nothing physical will happen to the lamp until next week

Thanks all!
    Phil
    (I loved the sketch about Trigger's broom too - I
    could easily be persuaded it happened to G-G-G-Granville too)

7. Henry Plews United Kingdom

Hi Phil,

Click on the link to Fettlebox Featured Product at top right of this page. Use the "Shop By Category" to get to where you need to be.
    Take note of what is said about the rubber pips for the pump NRV and control cock and the availability of the washer holders. A few more pennies but well worth it because they're far superior to the modern equivalent.

Henry.

8. David Shouksmith

Hope that helps... :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. KAB United Kingdom

A visit to YouTube will show you how, 'Broadlander' has a couple on servicing an earlier model but the same theory applies, other videos are available ;)

10. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Phil.

Good luck with the service, soon it will be second nature as you aquire and use more lamps. Because we are a nosy lot we love to see pictures.

KAB, thanks for the YouTube mention.

Regards, Jeremy (Broadlander)

11. TinkerPhil Canada

LOL - I just watched the video (and to the very to the end) :-)

So I obviously need the Tilley washer set (Tilley Washer Kit - The Fettle Box - classic lamp & stove washers & parts) but do I need the washer holder? Is there anything else I should have to hand before I put the order in?

What do I need to do about NRV and pipes - I did not see anything on fettlebox that seemed pertinent

I guess I need a mantle or two too - am I right they're not available on fettlebox?

12. X246A

Hi Phil.

Yes you will need a couple of NRV seal holders for the pump and cock. Fettle Box used to sell them but the link is dead. May be worth giving Ross a PM (Spiritburner).

You will also need a 300cp twin tie mantle or two. There are plenty on eBay if Fettle Box has sold out. Tilley use 164H and 164X for their part numbers.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jeremy

13. David Shouksmith

No - the X246B uses a shaped washer which sits on a spring inside the NRV casing. That's what distinguishes the 'new' 498 seals kit (which you want) from the 'old' 498 kit (which you don't). The washer holder is needed for the plain Part 155 NRV washer which was used in the X246 and X246A lanterns (and elsewhere, besides).

14. X246A

Hi Phil.

As it looks like the Fettle Box no longer makes the NRV pip holder you will have to purchase, as David said the current 498 washer set. The genuine Tilley washers and pump leather is not to the same standard that Ross produces but will fit your lamp.

Try: Tilley lamp spares and follow Davids instructions.

Regards, Keremy

15. David Shouksmith

The Fettle Box were retailers rather than makers in this case. I could be wrong but I'm nearly certain I know who actually made them; however, if I told you then I'd have to kill you! Anyway, he's been a bit busy lately with other things. Anyway, as it's an X246B then there's no pip holder required - just the shaped washer which sits on the end of the spring...

16. MG

MG United Kingdom Subscriber

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  17. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Nope, no toes, I sometimes buy from flipflopandfart