Mystery lamp

Discussion in 'Mystery Lamps' started by firefly88, Nov 19, 2017.

1. firefly88

I have been given this lamp by a friend who has cleaned out a deceased estate shed and knows I spend a bit of time fettling up any unloved lamp to working condition. I cannot find any marks indicating make /Instructions for use/Generator number etc common on all my Coleman lamps and indeed Tilley as well. The only identification is the remains of a label part of which is a mystery and also a small picture of an elephant with a howdah on it,s back.
    The globe is quite large and is a Coleman ,,,it has the Coleman name on the glass, but is it just a replacement that fits? - It measures 120 H x 160 top dia x 130 bottom dia.
    The pricker in the generator tube is raised and lowered in the usual way but unlike the Coleman which is attached to a hook it is raised by a rod on an eccentric... when the pricker knob is turned back the rod descends and a spring inside the generator tube pushes the pricker back down.
    I have fettled it as far as I can, unfortunately the hood is in poor condition although it might be ok for a trial firing...everything else has cleaned up well.....BUT... What make is it?

DSC_1648.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017
  2. James

James Subscriber

I would say Veritas Superb but maybe it it one of these? Need too see what's left of the label.

Coleman Ranger

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Looks like a Veritas Superb to me, although that offset bulge globe looks a bit odd to my eyes - probably a replacement or fitment on export models. However, the elephant decal wouldn't be usual for the Veritas Superb, but having said that, I think I've seen it associated with the Veritas brand - possibly/probably on a mantle packet or box.

I think the manufacturer would have been one of the 'Birmingham Bunch', maybe Samuel Heath and Sons and retailed through Falk-Stadelmann.

Best of luck getting it running. The Veritas Superb is often anything but superb, being frequently temperamental and unreliable. I once had one that worked but the mantle broke one day and I had to replace it. It's never run properly since. However, I'd have thought Coleman (and their customers) wouldn't tolerate such unreliability so maybe the lanterns sold under that brand name were 'improved' in some way for the overseas market...

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

It's a Veritas Superb and some of those lanterns work well and others do not.

5. firefly88

Thanks folks, at least you all seem to be consistent in your opinion. I will persevere with the fettle and see how it lights up....by the way, when I opened up the filler cap I found that someone in their wisdom had filled the lamp with turps:shock: ....I have posted a shot of the mystery transfer.

F3E52DD3-B599-46E0-816A-F36AFE7DBF60.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  6. firefly88

I have found a video clip on you tube featuring a Veritas Superb which clearly shows the Elephant as part of the Veritas label. Here is the link.....

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The turps will come in handy for cleaning paint brushes etc..

8. firefly88

The hood is in really poor condition, I am toying with the idea of making one probably out of brass. The original parts catalogue lists three options for the hood....enamelled, nickel plated and brass. The brass would be my choice because if I made it in sections it would be a relatively easy task to assemble it with silversolder and could possibly be chromed/ plated if I was really keen. I have looked around for a replacement but that is really a dream ....the shelves will be bare of spares for this baby!

9. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

It's taken me a while to dig-out my Superb with gold paint finish, it too has the elephant decal above the usual label.

IMG_0818AA.JPG IMG_0818BB.JPG

Henry.

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Wasn't there one on a well-known auction site the other day, which would be easier but possibly quite expensive given the cost of overseas shipping these days...