Mystery lamp

Discussion in 'Mystery Lamps' started by sggoat, Feb 9, 2020.

1. sggoat

Sorry for the dark photo--my friend said it had a 'w' in the name--looks like a 1958 Petromax to me.

Skärmklipp.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in the style of a Petromax, but I cannot see the label clearly.

Lanterns

3. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

Firstly, the plastic protector of the glass cylinder suggests that it is a Chinese made Petromax clone. This would also fit to a 6-digit code stamping on the bottom.

If it would be a pre-1960 Germany made specimen, it should have a date scratching on the bottom. For a post-1959 manufacture, there should be a 4-digit stamping w/ first 2 numbers = 01...52 and last number = 1...6. Any other 4-digit stampings would most likely indicate a manufacture at Hipólito in Portugal. The type of lever of the preheater would allow further confirmation.

4. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

With a W in the name it can be a Workhorse.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

Well if it were a Workhorse I think you'd be able to see the " flame arrest " part near the generator and the positive shutoff valve, but can't see either. The shade for the WH was a simple black enamel one not the shiny chrome job.

6. george

george United States Subscriber

Wenzel maybe???

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

George I think you are right. There should be Wenzel written on the knob as well.

8. paparazi

Westfalia perhaps....German coach builders and camping accessories..yes a Chinese clone made for a reputable camper company.

9. paparazi

I have a Westfalia VW Camper so when I stumbled across a lamp by the same company I had to have it for its novelty factor. I initially thought it might be made in Germany because Westfalia are a German, but I'm pretty sure it's just a cheaper Chinese clone.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

Papa

Wenzel is itself a camping - outdoor retailer so could be its the same Chinese clone made for 2 different brands.