Nearly but not quite!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Tim P, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Tim P United Kingdom

494CB657-0BD1-4EE3-9432-20FACDC68521.jpeg So my Tilley X246 got its first mantle this morning.

First run went OK-ish! A little bit dim, a few black blotches on the mantle... am I right in saying this could be a vapouriser hole issue or maybe even the burner?

Help appreciated!

2. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hi @Tim P just 2 suggestions.
    First, have you pumped up the fount enough? I usually pump it up until the pip in the pressure indicator is level with the top. On a full fuel load, it could take up to 100 pumps.
    Second, have you used the pricker quite a few times, there could be a partial blockage. When it’s running, don’t be afraid to use the pricker, although do it very quickly. Keep a match ready just in case it goes out.
    Thirdly, ( yes I said only 2 but I thought of another 1) is your fuel, kerosene or as you call it paraffin fresh and clean, just a thought.
    Cheers
    Pete

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That is good advice from Pete and I shall add the following.

If there is a strong smell of paraffin/kerosene then some part of the burner may be loose and that will cause the mantle to blacken.
    If there is not, then let the lantern burn for a few hours and the black spots may disappear.

4. Tim P United Kingdom

Thanks guys,

@AussiePete Yes I pumped the fount probably 80-100 times. The paraffin / kero is new and I’ve rinsed the tank quite a few times and it has come back out dirt free. I’ve tried using the pricker while lit, but no improvement

@JEFF JOHNSON There may be a bit of a paraffin smell when burning, but as I’m new to these lamps, I’m not sure what is ‘normal’. Is it possible to service the burner?

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

If some part of the burner is loose then the smell would be very strong,
    the vapourisers gradually clog up with carbon and the jets do become enlarged.