need help with identifying old pressure lantern

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by EricM1garand, Nov 28, 2019.

1. EricM1garand United States

Would like to identify the age and manufacturer of this pressure Lantern?

20191123_113500.jpg 20191123_113508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

I reckon that it's a Lind-o-Lite model 115 and the link below shows an example.

Lind-O-Lite 115

3. EricM1garand United States

thanks! been trying to identify it for some time now with little luck. thanks for the help! what era is the lind-o-lite 115 from? 20's? 30's? any idea of value? was thinking on getting it running again.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I reckon that your lantern is from the mid to late 1920's and the link below shows a Lind-o-Lite catalogue from about 1930, (the library is only open to subscribers) and the same model number is used for a lantern, but it's a more modern looking example, which is why I reckon that your lantern is earlier.

We don't give valuations here, but in my opinion it's a fine restoration project.

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/1930-lind-o-lite.2290/

5. EricM1garand United States

thanks for all your help! I will do some more research on it and try to restore her to her former glory! thanks again for the info!

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

All Lind-O-Lite lamps and lanterns date from late 1928 to 1937. This one with a carburetor valve and internal fuel feed is model 115(I) and will date from about 1930 -1931. By 1933 the carburetor valve was replaced with a more normal control type. The (I) is my suffix in the PLC for these early lamps to distinguish them from the External feed types which I have given an (E) suffix. Lind-O-Lite lamps used Coleman generators and because they used the R55 from the start they have to post date the introduction of that generator which was about 1928/9.

Lindemann made a superb quality product, perhaps even better than Coleman. They often survive in great condition and considering they are all pre WW2 that is a testament to serious quality. They can nearly always be fettled to run becuse they were all designed to use Coleman generators and the rest was so well made they nearly always just require new seals. That is a very nice find and possibly one of the best lanterns ever made in the 1930s. ::Neil::

7. MYN

That's a classic American lantern. My guess would be 1920s, latest 1930s.
    Its probably so well thought-out, engineered and made that the makers likely had a hard time securing sufficient sales on the spare parts.

8. Mackburner

The earliest newspaper advert for Lind-O-Lite lamps and lanterns is July 1930 in the US but a month earlier in Australia. The Aus advert shows the external feed carburettor lantern so we know that was from the early 1930s and we have a 1930 catalogue which confirms that. The last advert is from 1936 and after that they discontinued all small appliance manufacture. I suspect they may have made lamps from about 1928/9 but the lack of adverts suggests a little later and 1930 as a start date for sales although they could well have been in production by late 1929. It is therefore probably more correct to say L&H lamps are all 1930s. ::Neil::

9. george

george United States Subscriber

Put themselves out of business, so to speak! Coleman stayed alive by slightly cheapening the product and it worked!;)

10. MYN

Over the course of time, we all have seen numerous manufacturers that made excellent quality products went out business or being acquired by others and their names eventually disappeared from the scene. Unfortunate fact.
    Probably, operational costs and profitability had not been sufficiently addressed to ensure the success of their "Business Continuation Plan".
    Or there wasn't enough adaptations being implemented to meet the ever-changing needs and requirements as time passes.
    The best-engineered and made products on the market would be obsolete soon enough.

11. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Or more simple: there was no need anymore, gaslight, electrical light, was easier to "handle".

12. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

I really like the look of this lantern. It’s lovely and yours looks in very good nick. Presumably, this model relies on the ‘hung’ mantle method common to early Veritas lamps ( Superb etc) which are known to be very temperamental to light up and to keep burning. Does anyone know how these Lind-O-Light compare in reliability terms?

13. MYN

I'm pretty sure that Lind-O-Lite was an engineering marvel in its right.(based on instinctive feel only).
    If there're no missing parts, the odds are, you'd get it working again without too much effort.

14. MYN

I'm pretty sure that Lind-O-Lite was engineering marvel in its right.(based on instinctive feel only). Just by the looks of its elegance and simplicity in design.
    If there're no missing parts, which I'd quess quite unlikely, the odds are: you'll probably get it working without too much effort.
    There are some lanterns that simply work, no matter how badly it was neglected or ill-maintained in the past. They usually don't bring much profits to the makers as well.

15. Mackburner

It should work very well. It will probably want a few new seals and maybe a new pump leather but after a clean of the air tubes these lamps are pretty much as good to fettle as any Coleman. It will also use a Coleman generator so even if that wants replacing it is a simple fettle. ::Neil::