Need help with Optimus 1200

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by DaveD, Oct 24, 2012.

1. DaveD

Does anyone have an exploded view of the Optimus 1200? Specifically the pricker rod, upper vaporizer and valve. I took mine apart to change the pricker and now it hangs up in the jet (new). With the connecting rod out teh kero comes out just fine but I cannot get the lantern to burn with it all back together????????????????

2. Svenedin

I think it is basically the same as the Petromax lanterns. Try www.pelam.de for a descrption of parts and diagrams and

http://light.papo-art.com/tech-n-info/Petromax_technical/restore_pmax_dissassemble.html

For an excellent how to

These lanterns have a valve below the control wheel called the "generator foot valve" which controls the on/off of the fuel flow. The pricker at the jet is just a pricker and isn't the way fuel flow is controlled. If you have installed a new jet you may need to adjust how far the pricker pokes through the jet as it may be that it is poking through too much and so obstructing the flow of fuel even in the down position. It is also easy to bend or kink the pricker when installing a new jet and so it is best to install and new jet with the pricker in the down position. Hopefully this is all explained in the links above. You could try running the lamp with the rod installed but the pricker out (the pricker unscrews) and this should narrow down where the problem lies.

3. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

The Optimus doesn't use the same kind of valve at the bottom of the vaporiser as the Petromax do.
    Optimus has a tapered shut-off valve that are directly at the end of the control spindle.
    The pricker rod is just simply lifted as it rides along the conical face of the spindle valve when it closes, and is then lowered as the spindle is opened again.
    To work properly, there of course must be something that pushes the rod down again when you open the valve, and this is done with a spring that shall be around the pricker rod. It reminds of a ball pen spring.

Could it be that you don't have this spring in your lantern?
    That could very well mean that the pricker stays in the jet after manoevring it.
    This might also be the case if the spring is mounted the wrong way. The thickest part shall be upwards so it rests against the bottom of the vaporizer instead of going in it.

This is a typical 1200 needle and vaporizer.
    You see the spring on the rod. The thickest part of the spring must be positioned upwards since it rests against the tapered bottom part of the vaporizer.
    The little block with the conical surface is threaded on the rod and locked with a small nut. That's where you adjust the height of the needle in the jet.
    That block is what makes the up/down-movement as it rides on the large conical valve of the control spindle.
    1351091770-n__l.jpg

Attached Files:

4. DaveD

Christer,
    Thank you so much!!! I had installed the spring upside down - hopefully that is the answer

Dave

5. Carlsson

I'm sure it does the trick.
    Let us know how it goes.

6. ThosKiwi

Hello Dave, Svenedin and Christer,

I saw this post and was very glad that you pointed out Doron's comprehensive fettle.

I also located the 1200 manual (with a great parts illustration) online at "Be back later"

http://www.be-back-later.com/index.php?product=./catalogue//Optimus/Optimus%201200%20user%20manual.htm&neuzen=2&fn=Optimus%201200%20user%20manual

Hope this is helpful

Thank you
    ThomasL

7. DaveD

Well,
    Got home from work spent 5 minutes flipping over the spring and WOW!! A bright smooth burning lantern once again - Thanks again Christer.

Dave

8. Carlsson

Nice Dave! Glad it helped.
    Now we just need some pictures under Optimus in the Reference Gallery. 8)

9. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

I've been looking for this..I know it's an old post but can anyone confirm that this spring should be in place on an Optimus 1550 vaporiser?
    Thx
    Jamie

10. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

No such spring on a 1550.
    The 1550 and 1551 have a shut of vent on the lowest part down inside the tank, and have a NRV like construction there.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The 1550 does not have this spring. The on/off valve is at the bottom of the pickup tube on the 1550 and the cleaning needle works directly from the excenter on the cleaning wheel spindle.

12. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

Nils/Matti

Thanks for the information. I have not been able to remove the control cock mechanism from the fount. Does it detach by loosening from the flatted sides on the control? Also, should the control rod pull out from the cock?
    Lastly, does the pricker screw out from the top of the control rod and is it replaceable?
    Sorry about all these questions but you men seem to have the answers!!
    Many thx..
    Jamie

13. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Seamanjive the answer to all your questions is YES !

The construction of your Optimus 1550 is basically the same as a Petromax 829. The biggest difference is the rapid pre-heater. Have a look here: Restoration of a PETROMAX 829 Lantern

Henry.

14. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

Thanks Henry, I'll take a look.