New additions to my tap and die collection

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Sep 7, 2021.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I've been collecting taps and dies, trying to make sure I have most of the common types and even a few of the less common ones.

I recently saw an add on Gumtree for some old tap and die sets with virtually no info about which typed they were, but for £15 for all three (seriously!) I wasn't going to pass them up. This is what I got...

IMG_20210906_221645.jpg

IMG_20210906_221731.jpg

The Triangle set is the most interesting as it's an ME tap and die set...

IMG_20210906_221853.jpg

ME stands for Model Engineering (you probably already know that but I didn't until recently) some of which are used on pressure lanterns including Coleman and they're neither cheap or that easy to come by!

The others are:

A BA set in the Warrior box but the taps and dies are actually LALL (Leahman Archer Lane Ltd)

A mixed set of random taps and dies the previous owner probably built up over a few years.

I'm blooming chuffed!

2. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@ColinG
    That’s a top score there Colin. I’m as jealous as a scrub yearling at a stud bull show. :mrgreen:
    Cheers
    Pete

3. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

Nice sets, a bit of a bargain.

4. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Top find. I am a little :mrgreen: but happy that they will be used again !

5. ColinG

I didn't have to clean them much as they'd been well kept.

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Colin, I have found that you can't have too many tap n die sets. The variety of threads on lanterns is amazing.

7. ColinG

Ha ha... too true!

8. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

I still have a small box, Triangle Brand with 0-6 BA sizes. Complete in a solid beech box - with triplex lid - that is warped unfortunately, but when opened looks like a jewellery box to me. So far it has helped me with some Bialaddins, but I keep my fingers crossed I never will need to figure out what unknown thread is hampering my projects next. The sheer variety of threads - Model Enginering? Why? Me thinks down towards BA 20 is small enough! But what a wonderful catch Colin!

9. ColinG

If you feel like de-warping the lid of your box there is a way. If you have a hot air heat gun you can use it to straighten warp out by heating the convex side. It is best done bit by bit and checking each time but it certainly works!

Both of my BA sets only go down to BA10 which is tiny enough I think! For most British lanterns a 2BA tap and die will be very useful!

The ME threads are (I think) intended to replicate the threads of full size locomotive threads on model steam engines but scaled down so they appear correct. My set uses 40tpi but there is another standard which uses 32tpi - this standard is used on the Coleman check valve internal thread.

10. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Colin, thanks for the tip, but sadly it is the beech bottom that is hollow with a slight warp. Poor humidity control, as the triplex lid, inherent stable, extends 4 mm over the bottom on the closing side due to shrinking of the solid wood.
    Thick, non-steamed beech is a no-no if you want stable stock, and there is little I can do. I believe the old Warrior boxes are assembled mahogany or similar, and if you are lucky to find those complete in good nick, with intact logo, ecstasy abounds!

11. ColinG

That's a shame. The best quality boxes I have are the old ones from LALL which are made of mahogany and very stable!

12. MYN

Even for the Standard sizes, there are simply too many of them. Within the standard sizes, there are both common and uncommon ones.
    Depending on where you live, the supposedly common ones might not be available from the hardware store across the street.
    For example, UTS(UN-sizes) and NPT ones are not very common here where I am. We are more inclined towards BS, Whitworth and Metric.
    To top this, many lantern manufacturers such as Coleman, Primus and others use their own customized sizes. You'd never these on the usual market. At times, I'm a little tempted to get these specially made.

13. ColinG

Yes, Tilley used British Cycle Thread for some of their parts and also custom sizes. Coleman use a 1/4inch, 32tpi thread on the inside of their older check valve which is actually an ME standard so I had to buy the correct die to make my CV extractor! Tracey Tools in the UK stock a lot of the more esoteric sizes if you're ever interested.