New Member from Gainsborough

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Eoin, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Eoin

Eoin United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi, I found this site by accident when looking for a paraffin lamp and thought it better to join before I buy anything! We have an old camper van and want a lamp to use for camping trips that fits in with the van.

2. paparazi

Welcome to the Club..your story is exactly how I got into them.. I started with Tilley's and moved on to Vapalux/Bialaddin.
    My recommendation for a usable first lamp would be a Vapalux M320. They are fairly cheap, readily available, easily to light and use. Maintenance is cheap, globes and seal kits and cheap and common place.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. paparazi

I'm not sure how much you know about these lamps but they require pre-heating with methylated spirit for 2 - 3 minutes before the vaporizing chamber is hot enough to turn the 'jet' of paraffin fuel to a 'vapour' to ignite. Not for the faint hearted and many first time users can be put off. However, this querkyness is the very thing that attracted me to them and I hope it will be for you.

4. Eoin

Eoin United Kingdom Subscriber

We used these lamps camping when we were kids, so I know how they work and am comfortable with quirky. I also have a large tank of kerosene in the garden, so fuel is easy and cheap.

5. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Welcome. Paraffin it is then. Tilley or Bialaddin will serve you well.... storm lamp that can be used inside and out or a table lamp for inside use only. Would recommend getting a top reflector so you can sit and talk over the lamp without your retinas burning off :lol::lol:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good advice here.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

The Bialaddin 315 is another well made workhorse and one of me favourites. There are always to be found on eBay although the names and descriptions can vary a bit as can the prices, so don't pay over the odds if you're looking for one to do up yourself.