New to this forum.

Discussion in 'Practice Forum' started by Rob Mikell, May 11, 2020.

1. Rob Mikell

Rob Mikell United States Subscriber

I thank all for sharing an interest in these old lanterns and stoves. The older members in this group know well what durable products are. In todays throw away society little is made to pass the tests of time. Nothing is made nowadays to be rebuilt or reused ( read seasoned here mates). I would rather have an old lantern of superior grade than a new one of lesser quality. After much deliberation, I bought an Optimus single mantle 350/350cp lantern used "as is". Total cost was under $40 U.S. I was amazed at the quality. The lantern was in relatively good shape. After cleaning well, I used a 3000 grit polishing pad to bring the brass nickel finish to a bright vintage finish. I soaked all the brass in an old vinegar / salt solution. I found this recipe in an old book, " Fortunes in Formulas". This book had several printings, most before/during WW2. The books purpose was for individuals to save money. Let me tell you, vinegar with salt produces an immediate scratch free result. After applying, rub with an old towel. The mixture basically eats off old patina. Be ready with running water. When there is a uniform finish,rinse,rinse, rinse. Excellent immediate results with no polishing scratches. Note☆ remove all non brass fixtures. THIS WORKS ON BRASS OR COPPER ONLY. It may be agressive, but doesnt need but minutes for a good result. Back to my find , my 350/350cp seems to have been a "short run". Seems, 350cp couldnt be obtained theoretically from a single mantle ( at least thats my take from the forum). I have a SS globe mesh mantle and a packing kit coming for it. The unit is 95% right now. I am waiting on a NRV at this moment. Do any members know or is there an interchange table for brands/seals/models? Stay safe my new friends, we may not be far off from using these appliances on a regular basis. In closing, I am a retired heavy equipment technician with rheumatoid arthritis. This hobby satifies my "fettling" need as well as being active. Thhank you all Rob

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Well said Rob. I post occasionally here but am a (far) more prolific contributor over on Classic Camp Stoves. I find stoves present more variety in their construction to satisfy my curiosity and fettling urge. Plus, I like to cook and hike and a stove, or stoves, make good companions to both.

A lantern’s a fine thing, don’t get me wrong, but functionally it lights up the outdoor space I’m cooking in when night falls!
    I’m not sure what that means - ‘swap shop’ forum?

John

3. Rob Mikell

My hobby started with stoves. I bought a primus 80 in the grill can housing for $10. It was obvious from the quality of construction it was a fine piece. I took that 1 tiny stove wilderness river camping for 4 days. I was hooked. I later bought an Optimus 45. I also have a Svea 123, and 2 of the "box type". Most people shy away from used lanterns here, (i.e,bad gas,broken globes,rust). I have found flea markets are a gold mine for these. I enjoy this site and the sister sight. This forum and its members have an irreplaceable field of knowledge. I shy away from the newer lanterns that rust. There is something about brass, and nickel that screams durability. I have a bid in presently on the bay.for a knock off. I am buying it for the manometer and globe. It is nickel plated steel and in my humid environment (80-90%) constant care is in order to keep the steel polished and lubricated.

4. Rob Mikell

I might also add, during my searches, I have walked by dozens of high quality brass Colemans. These are usually basket cases, several jumbled up in a box,parts missing. I am going to start looking a lot closer. I have seen 200`s piled up in these collections. The price is usually so low its hard to contain the exitement, (the price will go up). Another source to look for lanterns and stoves is Shopgoodwill.com. This is an auction site consisting of all participating stores in the U S. At any given time (read non Covid here) there are hundreds of lanterns and a few stoves. I found a Griswold 2 burner cast iron LP for $12.

5. Rob Mikell

Does any sort of " table" on parts interchange exist. I am interested in how many different brands use the same part. Petromax,rRadius,Optimus, Aida, and Hipolito come to mind. Say, does a kit from a 350cp Optimus fit a 350 Petromax. Some of the parts sites can be very confusing.

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Ah, I see what you meant. I don’t know. I’d best leave that to more experienced inhabitants of the site to answer.

My compliments on one of the most helpful insights into a newcomer’s interests I’ve seen on this or t’other site.

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

8. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

Welcome aboard and greetings from Sweden.
    Matti

9. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Rob Mikell

Hi and welcome to the forum. A great set of first posts, now all we are waiting for are some photographs.

Regards Jeremy

10. Rob Mikell

I havent looked on the forum site closely enough. I dont know how to post the photos X246A. I would love for everyone to see a very good example.

11. Rob Mikell

Notice to members. I commented on the clone on the "bay" I bid on. The bid closed at 6am this morn. The seller sent an order cancellation at 5:50. Beware of rediculously low prices on a new clone. I only wanted for parts. I was high bidder, the product @ $10 US lower than other 2 + free shipping. I think some vendors put one low for a "hook". Once order cancels, they hope you go for the other. The vendor pulled up stakes. Not on the bay at all now.