Newbie with some new stuff and Q's

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Steve Holt, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Steve Holt United Kingdom

Hi All

Newbie here! Just wanted to post and say 'hi' and share my new acquisitions (MODS= if this is in the wrong forum please move)

I have just become the proud owner of a Tilley X246B and a Valor 65C Stove - obtained via Freecycle, so obviously didn't cost me anything apart from petrol to collect

Tilley X246B + Valor 65C Stove.jpg

The previous owner said they believed their Dad had bought during the fuel crisis, but didn't think they had ever been used and they were still in their original boxes

Looking at them the Valor 65C looks to have been used probably twice - I have already used it to test how long to boil a full kettle of water using and old whistling kettle - about 25 minutes to reach a faint whistle

Valor called it a boiling stove but probably more like a simmering stove, although I did notice once the chimney had got hot enough I was able to increase the size of the blue flame to about double

I have also just used it to keep and old pressure at pressure to cook some jacket potatoes (very good for that) but I had to get it to pressure first on a portable gas stove - am thinking I will probably make a curry today using my Dutch oven and using like a slow cooker - we'll see how that goes!

The Tilley X246B looks to be unused, even had an unused, unlit mantle fitted and the meths heater was also new and unburned, the stamp on the bottom is 774 (so assuming date of manufacture was July 1974? - which would roughly tie in with when the previous owner thought their Dad had bought it new)

So I fired that up but found it to be leaking from the on/off knob. After doing a bit of research and watching Broadlander's excellent servicing videos I realised it was most likely the packing gland (234?)

After taking this bit apart I found there were two seals, with one looking to have the centre hole slightly enlarged and definitely larger than the other, so I replaced just the one seal with smaller centre hole and the leaking at start seems to have stopped but when turned off after being run there is a small leak still

Both seals seem pretty hard so will use until the tank is empty (filled it about half full) then order a replacement. I looked at just doing an overall service of the seals and washers but BaseCamp is out of stock of SP1 at the moment

After all my messing about with these I decided to dig out a couple of other bits I have picked up along the way

First - Aladdin 23 with Lox-on gallery

Aladdin 23.jpg

Not sure where I picked this up from.
    Needs a cleanup and has some parts missing that I need to source (lox-on chimney, mantle, shade support and shade) although the wick is in very good condition
    Think I found the chimney, mantle and shade support on ebay at a decent price, but I can't believe the cost of a glass shade!

Lastly - FeuerHand Baby 275

FeuerHand Baby 275.jpg

Got this from a charity shop for £8 a few years back - was originally very clean and shiny but I have used this quite a lot but the hardware shop I used to get the small bottles of lamp oil closed down (and it was expensive - £5 for 1 litre!)

But have now found a good local source of Caldo Pre-Pac (4 ltrs = £6.99), so it is now back in use with paraffin in, but still needs a clean up

I think it is safe to say I have now got the 'paraffin bug' and am now on the lookout for;
    other lamps (pressure and wick)
    the small camping pressure stoves (primus, optimus etc)
    a Valor Minor 64 stove
    Valor or Aladding heaters
    and some pressure blowlamps

All will be intended for use rather than just collection/display

Well, that's about it for now
    Cheers
    Steve :)

2. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Steve and welcome from the Highlands.

Your Tilley X246B certainly looks new! The seals harden with age and need replacing. Follow the link on this site to Fettlebox (one of our sponsors) and Ross will be able to supply you with the seals you need. Servicing is straight forward and the lamp should work well. You’re correct in assuming the date code.
    Compared to earlier Tilleys, the X246B isn’t of the same quality. You’ll find the earlier lamps better made and better materials.
    The Tilley was a bargain!

Your other items don’t fall in to the pressure lamp and heater world, though most here will have a go at anything that smells of paraffin...

Have a look at our sister site, Classic Camp Stoves, there’s a link on this site.

As to the bug? Well, from my own experience I can tell you that less than a year ago I was unaffected, now, well, fully infected with no sign of recovery. Enjoy the ride.

Lots of knowledgeable folk here with lots of help and advice. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Stevie

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

4. Steve Holt United Kingdom

Cheers guys. looking at the Fettlebox washer kit, what does it mean where it states:
    'The pump valve/control cock washer will not fit the later Tilleys without washer holder'
    Is mine a later Tilley? If so, where would I get a washer holder?

Anyway, another pic of my new Tilley in action :)
    Tilley Lit.jpg

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

6. Steve Holt United Kingdom

Thanks for that Martin. Will get an SP1 ordered and get he lamp serviced

Was looking at Brass Lamps and Stoves website - what are anyone's thoughts on the lamp reflectors? Are they any good?