Newly acquired Coleman 214

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Apr 4, 2019.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I recieved this via the couriers today...

IMG_3989.JPG

Not bad for a few quid plus a 533 sportster thrown in! Trouble is, the 214 has a couple of holes! I guess you rarely get someting for nothing!

IMG_3991.JPG

I'm going to attempt to repair repair though as in all other respects it's in pretty good nick - the globe alone is worth more than I paid for the lamp and the stove! I recently got myself an electric welding kit so I plan to practice with it until I can control it and then apply a couple of welded blobs. If that doesn't work I'll be looking for a donor fount.

2. ColinG

This was the Coleman 533 that came with the 214...

IMG_3999.JPG
    It's a bit grubby, needs a new pump washer and might need a new generator, but for £17 for both I wasn't going to argue. Even with the leaking lamp fount I think I did OK.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Fine fettling projects!:thumbup::thumbup:

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Looking forward to your future progress reports on the repair.
    It's a strange location to have rusted. I suggest stripping the paint off and check the rest of the font for more holes under the paint.

Good luck :thumbup:

5. george

george United States Subscriber

Kind of surprised about those holes... they're in a strange place. Usually see them near the bottom, on the sides. Believe these tanks are steel, should be easy to fix. These are a nice lantern. I've has one years.:content:

6. ColinG

That's what I was thinking @ROBBO55 . The holes look like they might be due to a manufacturing fault in the steel in which case there may be more and if that's that's the case I'll be looking for a new fount!

Dammit!

Anyone know if a Coleman 282 fount shares the same dimensions?

7. ColinG

The holes are strange... they were under the original paint finish AND there was no surface corrosion, which points to either internal corrosion, but the height is all wrong, or a blemish in the steel, which might mean there are more of them... then again it might be a one-off. I won't know for sure until I strip the tank.

Also... its totally amazing the package arrived at all. The fount was 3/4 full and the cardboard absolutely soaked in kerosene! Seriously, if the driver had smoked near it, he mighyt have had a nasty fire on his hands. Seriously, it's packages like these that must really annoy couriers and postal companies! I had a leaky Enders stove sent to me once but it was wrapped in plastic so it was OK, but this was just dumb!

8. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Colin,

The 282 is a single mantle so it doesn't share the same dimensions.

The 220, 228, 295 or 290 founts share the same dimensions and the 214.

Cheers,

Norman

9. Marc

220's and 228's are common and cheap as chips over here. If you need a donor do reach out, happy to find + ship one over.

10. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

The 214 fount is in fact the same as that of the 282 and 288. It is quite a bit smaller than a 220 fount. The bung is also offset.

11. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I mis-spoke above. It should read: "The 214 fount is in fact the same size as that of the 282 and 288."

But they are not identical as the 282 and 288 have the bung hole in the center and on the 214 it is offset.

12. ColinG

Damn, I've just looked at the 285 and it's different! That's a damned shame! It'll have to be a fix od a new fount.

13. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

A boroscope to examine the inside of the fount may help you to decide whether to repair or replace. I suspect it was lying on its side with the holy side lowest and a little water in the fount rusted it through from the inside. If the rest looks OK inside, I would solder on a patch and use it. If it were to leak there, only air will escape.