Newly purchased Evening Star

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MG, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MG

MG Subscriber

Hi all,

I've got a few questions regarding my ES,

I presume the mica globe was riveted together when new but has since come apart, i bought some 2.4mm pop rivets but they are too big, is my only option to enlarge the holes in the globe or is there another way?

I know the picture isn't great but does the jet look enlarged and if so where could i get a replacement? there is gauze running through the vapourizer if that makes any difference,

And finally, the air release screw is missing, i expect an original ES one is hard to find so is there one from a more common lantern that will fit, the one from my Coleman 327 seems to fit but i didn't do it up too tight just in case of damage,

Thanks in advance.
    004.JPG 003.JPG

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hi Mark,

Don't enlarge the rivet holes in the mica. PM me about rivets, I have some spare unused ones.

The jet orifice is countersunk to help guide an external cleaning needle therefore may not be as big as you think. You'll know if it's enlarged when you eventually light the lantern.

Not too sure about a Coleman air screw, if it screws in and out easily, it may well be O.K.

Henry.

3. MG

MG Subscriber

Hi Henry,

I must admit i wasn't looking forward to it! thanks for that,

That's good news lets hope its ok then,

I have cleaned the filler cap and got the ball bearing moving nicely so a pressure test will show if all's good but it would be nice to find an original fitment air screw if possible, if anyone's feeling generous about letting one go, please pm me :)

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It's not an air release screw. It's an air inlet needle valve. Called an air stem by Coleman. If a Coleman screw runs down the threads OK then it will probably work OK. What will fit is an Akron Diamond air stem since ES lamps are essentially Akron imports or copies. ::Neil::

5. MG

MG Subscriber

Thanks Neil, i've not quite got the terminologies sorted yet especially with the older stuff,

Does the Akron Diamond air stem look right and are they difficult to find?

Thanks.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes the Akron will look right. Should be some around. Akron lamps are rather prone to stress cracking so plenty have been scrapped. You need to ask the US guys. It is a part I don't have because I have some ES stuff also missing this bit. ::Neil::

7. MG

MG Subscriber

Thanks Neil, hopefully the ES lamps are not as prone to stress cracking, mine looks fine but i won't know for sure until i pressure test it or test it under pressure when filled with fuel, it needs a lot of polishing by hand so i'd best get it sorted first!

Anyone know what the J stamped on top of the tank signifies?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018