Next up - Bialaddin 300X

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Scott D, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

651C9889-465B-4437-9F6C-89E9FA30167F.jpeg
    So within hours of completing my 315, I now have this 300X on it’s way to me. Looks like a nice easy restoration. I like the maroon font colour so will match that as closely as possible and I’m looking forward to getting the hood brass gleaming again which will work nicely with the maroon. However I’m a bit torn on the top section of the hood as even to my moderately colourblind eyes the postbox red seems to be a bit of a clash with the maroon of the font (Noticed the new one on my 315 darkened a bit with use, but still wouldn’t be maroon). I have spotted the replacement brass tops and could be tempted (thinking I may not end up a total purist) but worried that it would look great in brass initially but then get tarnished through use and not look good long term without a lot of work. Seen a few examples in the galleries, just wondered if anyone had any advice or had come up with a solution?

2. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Unfortunately the two shades do clash, it’s part of what makes a 300X a 300X!
    I like these lamps, well designed, well built and work well. I’ve got examples of both green and red lamps and can never quite make up my mind which colour looks best.

Enjoy the fettle!

3. george

george United States Subscriber

Could the color change be caused by heat? I have a 300X, it's in the gallery and the top is slightly different than the color on the tank. Nothing has ever been done to it.
    :-k

4. Scott D

The heat does seem to darken the hoods, as on the 315 I’ve just fettled I put a new hood on and loved the bright red which complemented the silver font. But after a few minutes of heat it went really dark and I thought the initial look of the lantern was then gone. However it regained a lot of its colour again when it cooled down.

5. george

george United States Subscriber

Coleman red tops seem to do that, too. I have a Coleman 200 "Christmas" lantern and whenever I light it the top changes color but does go back to the original color once it's out.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine fettling project!:thumbup:

7. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

These are great lamps, well built and really reliable. I have restored a few of them, I did this one earlier in the year in lighter red to match a new top. It gives you an idea for comparison against the original maroon.
    D1D0A803-BE07-4333-A09B-52312FC342FB.jpeg

8. Scott D

That looks really good in the lighter red!