Noob alert - Aida 1500 express

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Patrick Hayes, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Patrick Hayes United States

My brother in law and I have a Christmas tradition where we exchange gifts found via dumpster diving or other freebie situations. This year I got an Aida 1500 express! I'm not a mechanically inclined person, but looking at some of the detailed restoration posts makes me think its doable...but first I'd like to see if its working as is...so questions, and

forgive me if these have been answered in forum, but could not find specifics:

1. what is the step by step for lighting? I'm a bit confused by the blow torch starter, but it looks like you pull the spring loaded thing back and light after pumping up. See - told you I'm a noob.

2. Should the valve rotate infinitely, or should it lock/screw down as one rotates clockwise.

3. I have some 1111 mantles ordered, but also have some model 785 American Mantles. Could these work temporarily?

Thanks for any help and love this new hobby.

2. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Welcome to the forum.

step3: why do you order mantles if you doo not know how the lantern works ?

For the rest: look for restoration petromax, you will find a lot of answers on all your questions.
    Sorry but using the help function is part of live. Your AIDA 1500 is identical to the petromax 500cp style lanterns.

Pictures would help for us too.

3. Patrick Hayes United States

Ordered mantles because it does not have one and read on this forum that the 1111 is appropriate for the lantern. I grew up with a coleman style lantern, but this thing has some features not accustomed too...

Will check out petromax info. Thanks!

4. Patrick Hayes United States

Not sure what this means. I don't use forums that much.

"Sorry but using the help function is part of live. "

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Patrick. Instructions on the way. These lanterns can often be lit in two ways and for a first attempt I would suggest you forget the blow torch and pre heat using alcohol in the spirit cup at the base of the generator. It is less frantic. With no pressure in the tank fill the cup and light. Let it burn to near the end of the alcohol and then close the filler cap and pressure release then give it maybe 10 to 15 pump strokes. ::Neil::

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

7. MYN

Are the 1111 mantles still available as new stock? If they are, then I'm certainly unaware of it(if you were referring to the Coleman no.1111).
    I would use cheap, current-production mantles for initial testing instead of older, harder-to-find ones.

8. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Patrick Hayes

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I also found this useful when I first started playing with this type of lantern. However don’t be in too much of a hurry to strip it to component parts as new seals and washers will be required:

Please keep us informed of your progress, and being a nosey bunch we love photographs.

Regards Jeremy

9. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

If I may suggest leaving the blow torch started alone at first. Have a go later maybe, but for now, maybe just use a little meths in the pre-heater cup and leave it for a couple of minutes.

There are plenty of 'How To' videos on YouTube and because this style of lantern are so common, any 'How to start a Petromax or Petromax clone' type video will show you the basic principle.

The video above isn't a bad primer at all but I would always use spanners rather than pliers to save the brass from getting chewed up!

Anyway, have fun and post some photos - we love photos!

10. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Hi Jeremy lots of explanations in that video are wrong.
    Adjust the light with the needle?
    Position of mixing paddle.

11. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@bp4willi

ok, so not perfect...:oops:

Regards Jeremy

12. M.Meijer

Patrick,
    perhaps as a fellow Dutchman I can explain: ......part of life.

In the good old days schooling in Holland had an emphasis on 'learning how to learn'. It was also a time where common sense was valued. A resulting creative thinking that unfortunately is on the wane.

My guess is that Wim is refering to that approach: spend time and attention on what is available (help function) before you start asking questions (sorry - as in life you have to keep your own trousers up).
    You then are much more educated about what real problem still might persist, if you have not found all the answers already.

Regards, Mike

P.S. Welcome to the forum. And how on US soil did you find an Aida lamp?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019