1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOS Hipolito H-302 350

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by eiremax, May 9, 2018.

1. eiremax

eiremax Ireland Subscriber

Here is a unused Hipolito H-302 that I recently acquired. Its has a medium level of tarnish but i believe that this will polish off without issue as in my experience Hipolito have an excellent chrome finish. I inspected the glass and it is plain without any markings. Was this the norm for Hipolito? As my other NOS lanterns, it will remain un-fired while I have it. A nice little addition to the collection! Any idea what the "GF" etching relates to??

DSCF2279.JPG

DSCF2280.JPG

DSCF2281.JPG

DSCF2282.JPG

DSCF2283.JPG

DSCF2290.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  2. Bent Jensen

Bent Jensen Denmark Subscriber

Hi Eiremax
    If you've found this lamp on the Emarald Isle, it has gotten around :-) . The lamp origins from Denmark, the letters are not "GF" but "CF", meaning "Civil Forsvaret" or Civil Defense. The letters are probably made with some vibrating pen. They came out as NOS some years, with, as you describe, some tarnish, due to poor storage. I have one in my shed, also NOS, it will also stay this way. Mine escaped the "CF"-scratching, but I know it came from there, since I know the guy who "organized" it.

20180510_080717_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  3. eiremax

eiremax Ireland Subscriber

Interesting to know its provenance! I have two NOS Petromax which are ex CF lanterns but are professionally engraved on the tank with a Crown and CF underneath. Must add them to the Reference Gallery.

4. george

george United States Subscriber

The one with the CF and crown I think has to do with Civil Defense. I think it for Sweden.:content: Something like the MD41 you see on the bottom of some Aida lanterns. They were purchased by the Dutch Civil Defense authorities in the early 1950's. The MD stands for Mobile Medical Unit (I think).:-k

5. Bent Jensen

Bent Jensen Denmark Subscriber

I've seen one Hipolito wit the engraving you're mentioning. I overhauled for a friend, she found it at a flee market and kept it as decoration. Great surprise, when it worked like a clock after a little fettling. These lamps showed up by the pallet at auctions over Defence materiel some 10 years ago and was probably bought by professional buyers. I've seen 50 lamps of various quality going for the equivalence of £2000.

When it comes to the provenance (Also @george), I would say that the CF with the crown above is Danish. The Swedish CF/CD will also be marked, but their crown is different. Also, there will oftten be two styled crossed arrows together with the crown (See pics.).

Danish CF.jpg
    Danish CF

Swedish_CF.JPG
    Swedish CF

CF_Scratcing.jpg

I btw found a lamp shade in the shed, also CF-scratched. Seems like I by accident got the shade interchanged with the shade from the lamp mentioned above...:oops:.

Cheers
    Bent