Optimus 100N glowing J tube

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Krisse, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Krisse

Krisse Subscriber

Problems with glowing J tube. Has renovated an Opimus 100N from the ground up. New nozzle and carburetor are clinically clean. No leaks.

The lamp lights up really nicely but after 20min the J tube starts to glow red. Does anyone know what the distance should be between the nozzle and the J tube on a 100cp?

(Yes the glass is upside down,so I can monitor the sock);)

91E08D20-2810-4032-946B-5D9A1D9EFA36.jpeg

2. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Krisse
    @MYN said the following about my glowing tube on an optimus 350

3. Krisse

Krisse Subscriber

Thanks! but I think I have checked most things. What I'm thinking about is distance. The J tube is not centered towards the nozzle, the lamp has probably always looked like this. know that eg Optimus 200 is sensitive to this. But that means I have to grind out the hole in the inner hat so it is a last resort.

Attached Files:

4. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Krisse. Honestly I don't know. A look through the lamp reference library reveals one opinion of 8mm another of 12mm. The manual is silent on this.
    I don't have a 200 but I have noticed on the 350 that you do get some "wiggle" room when tightening the screw that holds the baseplate/cage in place. I tighten it up slightly and with glass removed and push it about until the inner cap is positioned neatly over the jet/nipple. Once in position I fully tighten the screw. If you have not tried this it may be worth trying before removing metal (because you can't put it back)
    I also note that the vapouriser is "cranked over" so it might be an idea to play with where that is fixed as its position relative to the hole can be varied.

@James K had the same issue with his 200. lLok at his story in the reference library. Keep going !
    Chris