1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimus 1200

Discussion in '1200' started by Matti Kucer, May 7, 2018.

1. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

Hi all!

I have bought this 1200 model lantern. It is on its way to me now.

I really wanted a brass lantern so now was the time to buy one.

What version of the 1200 is it? Is the frosted glass the original one? I like the clear type better.

Regards!

Optimus 1200.jpg

2. bp4willi Netherlands

I'd not use a full frosted glass on a mantle lantern.

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Denmark Founder Member

Congratulations on the lantern Matti.

This is the last version of the 1200 that Optimus made. It is from the 1980s and the 1990s. By this time Optimus had outsourced a lot of manufacturing and sourced parts elsewhere as well. It is believed that the quick starter and some burner parts come from Hipolito. It is still assembled by Optimus though.

I have heard some people say they can't get them to burn right, but I have not had any problems with the ones I have tried.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine example!:thumbup:

5. taiwan_lei Taiwan

6. Matti Kucer

Thank You for the input. I have tried min now. It works but the needle stays in the nozzle when i turn the wheel fully to the left. I need to press abit on the needle to make it come loose. If i try with the parts outside it does not get suck. Annoying.

Collage 2018-05-20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018 at 5:40 AM
  7. MarkC

MarkC United Kingdom Subscriber

Just have to take it apart and adjust the length of the rod, or put a spacer under the jet.
    I've been fettling a bunch of old Optimus with jets and needles from various sellers. The length always seems to need to be fiddled with.
    Looking forward to seeing some pics of it running.
    Good luck.

Did you find it locally or on tradera? I am in Estonia and desperate to get over to Sweden and fill my car with old lamps. Transport price from Sweden to Estonia is really high and so slow. Takes 2 weeks with schemer.

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 South Africa Subscriber

Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa
    On the 1200, the needle conductor rod is spring-loaded. I would recommend taking the vaporiser/valve assembly apart and checking & cleaning it.

9. Nils Stephenson

Yes it does sound like something is getting stuck enough so that the spring can't pull the cleaning needle free. As has been said, it needs to be pulled apart and cleaned/aligned so that it moves freely.

10. Matti Kucer

Thanks all for Your input. I noticed that the spring kind of jumped a bit when I disassembled it for cleaning. -How to assemble it correctly? Is the wheel to be at some point when doing this?

The lantern was bought on the Swedish Tradera site. I guess its cheaper if You find a lantern at a flee market but I havent visited one yet, hoping to make some findings this summer though!

Regards!

11. Nils Stephenson

The assembly should be pretty straight forward. The only thing to be aware of is that the upper vapouriser compresses the spring when you put it on.

The pointer on the wheel should point as close to up as possible when the valve is screwed all the way in. This is also when the needle is up.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that the fully frosted glass is standard on this variation of the 1200M. Not very practical, but that's what it came with.

12. eiremax

eiremax Ireland Subscriber

A fine lantern. The frosted glass looks the part but has a flaw in that it will conceal any damage to the mantle. If your mantle has a hole, it will only come to your attention once the glass has been damaged. My advice is that leave the frosted glass in if lantern is for show and a clear lens or 50/50 if it's a worker.

13. Matti Kucer

Thanks for your advise, found a pic from fettling section showing the spring opposite to how my spring was fitted, so that I must try.

*edit: picture from this post.
    Stång.jpg

Yes, exactly my opinion. I will buy a clear one later on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018 at 5:18 AM
  14. Nils Stephenson

Yes, the spring should be as in the picture above. I hope that solves the sticking problem.