Optimus 1350 knowledge needed

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rayw, Nov 6, 2020.

1. MYN

I guess I'd hardly have preheat issues here where I live. The ambient temperatures under the shade are seldom below 30°C during the day and rarely fall below 25degC at night.
    If I ever require more than one dishful of alcohol for this, then something else is at fault.
    There had been exceptions (abnormal) though. That was only because I was trying out pure diesel as the fuel instead of kerosene. In those cases, I might need up to three dishfuls for the preheat.

2. rayw

rayw United Kingdom Subscriber

Interesting, when i managed to light it yesterday i shut it down with the valve, the lamp went out but some vapor came through the hood, i think the valve sest is old and failing. Probably best to use the pressure release valve to shut it down.

3. MYN

Releasing the fount pressure is the 'official' or right way of doing that. The cleaning needle is definitely not in any way suitable for this.
    The footvalve is not a reliable shut off mechanism and prone to leakage if these are frequently operated. Nevertheless, they need to work if you are solely dependent on rapid style preheaters.
    The mechanism, pip assemblies and spring on the footvalve differs not too much from the NRV of the pump. These are pretty 'flimsy' and there are always room for the pip/rubber to wobble about in the tube. They do not always seat at the same closed position.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  4. rayw

The logic is pretty clear, stragely enough i usualy start up my Tilley by pumping slowly at the end of the preheat, allowing it to build up gradually.
    Although i usualy shut the control valve and allow it to cool before releasing the pressure, but the Tilley has to be de pressured by the pump-filler which often sprays a bit, unlike the Optimus screw.

5. MYN

These Optimus or any other Petromax-styled lanterns would also start up like the way you light up your Tilley.
    Pumping up at the end of the spirit preheat session. No needle intervention is necessary actually.

6. rayw

Been a bit busy of late but decided to try and improve this one. I took off the top of the vaporiser and dropped it in the alloy wheel cleaner, then I borrowed the wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, that seemed to bring out the muck. I re set the "J" tube gap a llittle wider and tried it, it fired up nicely, but it pulses a bit, but the Halo around the mantle is now almost none exsistent I found that rotating the on off valve changed the brightness and after a while the pulsing decreased, think I need to do some checking on the foot valve,
    After 45 minutes it seemed much more stable.
    I was going to make this a kind of wipe with an oily rag fettle but I may tidy it up a bit more.
    It's certainly a bright one

20201212_140205.jpg

7. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @rayw - looking good ! The lightly pulsing Optimus (actually all petromax type lamps) is no strange phenomenon. There is much written on this topic on this board.
    I have found that plenty pressure and letting it run a while often helps.

8. rayw

Thanks I will give it a try, the pulsing was very slow and as you mentioned seemed to get less as it ran for longer, I wanted to run it for more than 45 minutes but it's cold and damp today and I didn't want to leave it unatended, next time I'm in there I will fire it up and try to give it a long test run.
    I am curious about Nickel plating and I may try re plating the base plate and spirit cup, who knows where that might lead.