Optimus 1550, Blackhood

Discussion in '1550' started by Claus C, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Claus C

This lamp was in a garage for many years and was very Little in use.
    It seems to be good quality all the way but the way the top is connected to the Hood using a pop-rivet :?
    Its a real looker and you cant have to many Optimus with Black Hood and controlwheel here, so here she is after at bit of cleaning:

1427672259-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_001_opt.jpg

1427672259-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_001_opt.jpg 1427672284-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_002_opt.jpg 1427672315-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_003_opt.jpg 1427672341-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_004_opt.jpg 1427672371-Optimus_1550__Norwegian_Army_005_opt.jpg

Claus C

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. eiremax

eiremax Subscriber

How do you find them Claus!

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in good nick! :thumbup:

4. revorge

Excellent looking lamp :)

5. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Hello Claus. I just bought one of these on line. I'm not sure which exact model it will be when it gets here, as it is missing the decal plate as yours appears to. Black top, black wheel and petromax preheater looks like a 1550 Just wondering if this makes any sense to you....
    Cheers, Roger.

6. AussiePete

AussiePete United States Subscriber

I’ve have no experience with these lamps, however the hood being secured with a “pop rivet”, for this nice looking lamp that seems to me a bit “how’s your father” .....
    Is this normal for this lamp type?

7. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This 1550 is the last variation that Optimus made. It's most likely from the late 80s or early 90s. It is believed that Optimus sourced the tank, frame and top from a Swedish sub contractor and then bought in the rest from Hipolito. I have no proof for that, but that is the story I have heard. Anyway, it should be described as assembled in Sweden. The pop rivet is correct.

8. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Hello Pete. I will report back when it lands here, but the truth is the rather scant pictures didn't show the top of the cap so I'm not sure as yet. Maybe an improvement on the fold-back-the-tabs type of attachment on a couple of others I have here though. At least a rivet can be drilled out and replaced with a bolt/nut.
    TTFN
    Roger

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

This thread is over 4 years old and I can't remember the last time Claus was here but it was a very long time ago...

10. MYN

I've read some posts by @Claus C but those were rather old ones, circa 2016. Those were there before I joined the forum.
    Anyway, the Optimus 1550 looks to be a well-made lantern. Whatever the reasons to incoporate a pop rivet, if its original, just leave that in. A bolt and nut wouldn't make it much more than a rivet holding something that is already held-secure by the fold-back-the-tabs upper part of the hood.

11. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

I still hear of Claus every now and then from another collector in Denmark. I think he still collects, but hasn't been active online for a long time.

The 1550 with the pop rivet does not have the tabs to hold the top as well. They saved that feature and went for a cheaper solution. It might not look the nicest, but it works.

12. MYN

In that case, a bolt and nut might be a viable option, Roger.
    I'd still leave the original rivet alone if that's holding well.
    Otherwise, and if its made of aluminium, you might want to replace it with a stronger steel or brass rivet instead.
    Well, the lantern's yours.

13. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Hello Gents. On my table now. The rivet is loose in fact, and I might stick a brass bolt through it one day. More frustratingly however, the tuning screw on the J-tube sits behind a support in the hood so you can't access it when it's fitted and running. I can get round it by fitting a hood off something else, but I'm not sure why they made a simple error like that. anyway it's a rather clean looking lamp so I'm more than chuffed. Had some security error problems uploading a picture, so apologies if I can't explain that better.

14. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Aha, it's stuck this time !

IMG_3871.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
  15. MYN

You mean the hood's stuck or what?

16. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Not quite sure what you are referring to...Not stuck, the cap wobbles on the hood as the stupid rivet has loosened off. My post above relates to the fact that the adjusting screw annoyingly lies behind a vertical support when the hood is placed down over the bail support blocks in its correct position.

17. MYN

How many vent openings does the hood have? On the Petromax, its five. And if its fitted the other way round, that's what you get. If it has an even number of vent openings, it's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
    Anyway, that doesn't matter too much as you'd only need to adjust that once.