Optimus 200

Discussion in '200 (and 821)' started by Michel, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Hi all
    I own this lamp for a while but i don't know exactly what period it is from
    I havn't found the same in the gallery
    I would say the 40s

IMGP3369.JPG IMGP3376.JPG IMGP3371.JPG optimus 200 avec jauge.JPG

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

That looks like a nice example, congratulations. All original except for the glass.

There is not much information about this variation, but it has to be from around the middle of the 40s. There are two variations of this version as well. One with the pump tube angled to the left of the central pick up tube and the other with it on the right side. From what I can make out on your picture, yours is to the left.

3. george

george United States Subscriber

Optimus lanterns are very fine lanterns, but awful expensive! I have a 200 that looks like it's from the 1930's.:-k I had trouble with it from the standpoint of "pulsing"! It drove me nuts! I finally gave up on it and put it away to keep my sanity.](*,) It has a fiber knob on it for cleaning so I figured that alone seems to make me feel it's from the 1930's (or maybe very early 1940's). No expert on these, for sure!

4. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

The positioning of the lighting hole on these is a bit awkward. On the 200P the hole is offset to the left of the vapouriser.

5. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

@george , if you decide to replace the upper vapouriser, just be aware that the 200 and 200P/Petromax 250/etc. vapourisers have different thread diameters on the jamb nut.

6. george

george United States Subscriber

I think you're right about the vaporizer! That's the only part I haven't replaced!](*,) I'm going to try replacing it. I want to find an Optimus vaporizer.

7. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

To reiterate, if yours is a 200P many 200-250cp vaporisers will fit, but afaik if it is an early 200, only an early Optimus 200 vap will work. If you are not too worried about originality, it may be safer to get a matching upper and lower vaporiser pair together from any scrapped Optimus 200 type lamp. There should be plenty of those lying around in Sweden...

8. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It's easy enough to just clean the vapouriser. Heat and quench then a good mechanical clean inside. Getting around the loop is important as this makes a noticeable difference.

9. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Nils is quite right. No need to replace unless it is truly knackered, which is seldom the case.

10. Michel

Michel Subscriber

yes a good cleaning is necessary and after when I have this pulsating problem,
    I use to roll a thin brass grill around the needle rod
    it stops the pulsation

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine example!:thumbup: