Optimus 300 gasoline model

Discussion in '300' started by adelcoro, Jul 21, 2014.

1. adelcoro

adelcoro Subscriber

Hi there I found this fairly hard to find model last weekend here in Canada with some help from Neil,Frederick and Conny
    it's been confirmed as a 300 B gasoline model
    What year were these made?
    This will be a great addition to my collection
    thanks again for your help
    Agostino

1405959381-image.jpg 1405959409-image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

That's a very good find. I'd say "fairly hard to find" is an understatement.

The earliest mention of them that I have is in a 1939 catalogue, but I would expect that they were made earlier. The last catalogue with them in is from 1954.

The design of yours puts it in the late 30s to early 40s time frame. I'd be inclined to say closer to the 30s as I'm not sure how much export was happening during WW2.

3. adelcoro

adelcoro Subscriber

Thanks for the info Nils!

4. Claus C

Is there any difference between the 300 and the 300B but the vapourizer? Marks? Print?
    Say, if a former owner changed the vapourizer to kerrosine, would it then be possible to identify it as a 300B still?

Claus C

5. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

There is no marking on the tank (or anywhere else) to identify it as a "B" model. The differences are the valve assembly, vaporiser, pressure safety valve in the filler cap and glass cage with cutout for the extra valve. If you put all these parts on a normal 300 then it would become a 300B. I'd say the chances of finding these parts are just as good as finding a complete 300B.