Optimus 300 P

Discussion in '300' started by lampelus, Oct 24, 2013.

1. lampelus

lampelus Subscriber

Hello
    I've been looking for a 500 CP lamp of Swedish origin for awhile. But they are scarce at least in Norway.I have only 250/350 lamps and would like to see how much light a 500 CP puts out.
    Anyhow I got myself this 300P. Lightly used and no dents. Found info on this site that it is of the second variation of the 300P and Optimus stopped making them in 1957. Can somebody help me establishing when it was made? Does the P mean petroleum ?There is now installed a 500 CP nipple, mantle and needle in this lamp. So this weekend I will light up the neighborhood.I have heard the 500 CPs get very hot.Any advice is welcome. brgds Bjørn
    1382639439-IMG_0240_opt.jpg 1382639457-IMG_0242_opt__1_.jpg 1382639465-IMG_0243_opt.jpg 1382639488-IMG_0244_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

I think you'll be satisfied with that lantern. They give a tremendous light even in the original 300 CP version.

Yes, and a paraffin (petroleum) lantern it is.
    The rarer petrol version has a "B" for Bensin. Or perhaps rather Benzin.

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The lantern looks to be in good condition and should work well. I'm a bit suspicious about the top and wheel as both these parts are from after 1957. There is the possibility that Optimus had stocks of 300P parts they wanted to use up but didn't have enough tops and wheels so used the 'new' type. They fit and work so not a problem for them.

I'm not so sure this is the reason. We have discussed this point before and no conclusive reason has been found. Comparing with the B version is not conclusive as this was never stamped on the tank and they were introduced at least 10 years before the P version appeared. There is also the change to N on the 100cp lantern at the same time. Another argument against the kerosene/paraffin idea is that they would have used F for 'fotogen' as all other letters used the swedish language. My guess is that we will never know why they decided to stamp a P on the tanks.

4. Carlsson

I'm not sure what you mean with all other letters used the Swedish language. All my Optimus have English on those places actual words are showing (as in Made in Sweden, etc.). I seldom see Swedish words on these items.
    English is not better in this matter of course, because even if correct for the "P" as in paraffin, it still falls on the "B".

I always assumed they used the German language. That's the reason why I also wrote the German spelling Benzin above.
    Still not very consistent considering the otherwise English text, but I'm not sure consistency always was used in these matters.

But you are right. We don't know for sure, so better not jumping in to conclusions.

It's still a good rule for memory though: P for Petroleum and B for Benzin.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Except in the UK, petroleum is petrol which is gasoline, not kerosene (which we usually call paraffin anyway). Benzin is quite close to benzene which is a completely different substance altogether and not to be put into lamps under any circumstances.

Confused? - you will be... :lol:

6. Carlsson

I explained that it was in German, and it still applies as a rule even if you don't live in Germany yourself.

We all know the English names for these fuels, but hopefully most collectors in here are dedicated enough to also realise that it's important to know what it's called in the other countries. If not other so at least in German, Swedish and American (Perhaps also in French and Australian).
    Actually the most common words related to lamps in Spanish is a good idea to have atleast some grip on.

7. Nils Stephenson

What I was thinking of is that if it was a petrol/gasoline lamp then a B was used (bensin). If the lamp was in brass they used an M (messing). If we include stoves then if it was nickel plated then it sometimes had an F (fornicklet (sp?)), and so on. That is why I didn't think the P fitted. Also the P is the only one actually stamped on the tank, that I know of. This would tend to indicate that it was important for Optimus, but the question is why.

8. Carlsson

Ah,I see.
    But you are mainly referring to how they write the codes in the catalogues, right?
    That's another thing and seldom related to stamps on the actual lamps.

I didn't know that P was the only one stamped on the tank, though.
    I'm not in the lucky position to have a petrol Optimus, and I was under the beliefs that they also had the letter (B) stamped on them.

If P is the only one stamped, I guess you are correct that it means something certain significant on just these. :-k

Edit: Just checked the ref. section, and atleast the 100N has the letter N stamped in the tank.
    So it's just the B that's never stamped then?

9. Nils Stephenson

Yes I had forgotten about the 100N, but it turned up at the same time as the P models (I think :)). Unfortunately I don't have a B model myself but the ones I have seen do not have a B on the tank. According to a 1954 catalogue, there was still a B model available even though the tank was stamped with a P. This is actually conjecture as the catalogue only lists models 100, 200, 300, 500, 200B and 300B and doesn't mention a P anywhere but the picture used clearly has a P on the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  10. Claus C

Did this model 300P come also come without a tank measuring device :?:

Claus C

11. Nils Stephenson

As far as I know, the 300P always had the level gauge.