Optimus 300P (late version)

Discussion in '300' started by Nils Stephenson, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This is not the shiniest example, but I think it is interesting anyway. Everything is typical of the final variation of the 300P except for the outer top. This has a chrome top cap which I have only seen on the lamps supplied to the Norwegian military. This one comes from the Danish military so there could be a connection, even though the other 300P lanterns I have seen from the Danish military have the standard red enamel top cap. What I do think is interesting is that the outer top hood has the ring of slots where the later 350/1350 etc lanterns top cap attached with bent over tabs. This would suggest that the top was for the later model but then modified for the 300P top cap. The extra holes were made before it was chrome plated, so I assume it was done at the factory. This would indicate that 'old' models, in this case the 300P, were being made at the same time as parts (or complete lanterns) for the new models were being made. If this is true then it would date this lantern to around the 1957 time frame.

Optimus_300P_v3_front.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_back.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_high.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_outer_top.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_inner_top.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_name.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_filler.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_pump.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_valve_L.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_valve_R.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_vapouriser.jpg Optimus_300P_v3_wheel.jpg

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find!:thumbup:

3. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Very nice lantern, and exemplary presented.
    What does ITT stand for? Just something a previous owner scratched into the plating, or is it something with the army?

4. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

I had always wondered about ITT until I saw a post of Claus C's Primus 1060. Apparently it stands for "Ingeniørtroppernes tekniske tjeneste" which roughly translates to Engineer troops Technical Service. I have seen ITT stamped on several military items here in Denmark.

Another thing I have noticed and forgot to mention before. The Optimus 300P lanterns from the Danish military, that I have seen, do not have a level gauge. I wonder if that was a special order from the military or if anybody could order them that way?