Optimus 300P

Discussion in '300' started by Sellig33, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

Hi all, i bought it few months ago.
    Optimus_300CP_09.jpg Optimus_300CP_08.jpg Optimus_300CP_07.jpg Optimus_300CP_06.jpg Optimus_300CP_05.jpg Optimus_300CP_04.jpg Optimus_300CP_03.jpg Optimus_300CP_02.jpg Optimus_300CP_01.jpg

Can you help me to date it ?
    Thanks.

Gilles

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It is not possible to be precise with these lamps, but it is from the first half of the 1950s. The red enamel top cap has been replaced at some stage with one from a late 1550.

3. Sellig33

Hi Nils,
    Thanks for these informations. The top cap is a new one ( from Fogas.se ).
    What is the production period of this model, 1950 throught 1957, or earlier ?

4. Nils Stephenson

The start date is hard to define, but the best guess is the end of the 1940s. I have seen a brochure from 1949 that shows the standard picture from the 30s and they still call is a 300, but they have coloured the top red. From that I am assuming that the top is red enamel at that time and this feature was introduced on the 300P, so I expect the model in 1949 was in fact a 300P. The end date is a bit easier as the 350, 550, 1350, 1550 models were introduced in 1957. The 350 was a replacement for the 300P so I assume it stopped in 1956. The last variation of the 300P was slightly different to yours, so it is probably from before 1955 (this year is only an educated guess).

5. Sellig33

Thanks for all the details Nils.
    Michel is preparing a sheet on this lamp model, and all information is precious.
    I'll put the link here when the sheet is ready.

6. Sellig33

@Nils "The last variation of the 300P was slightly different to yours"
    What are the differences of the last variation ?

When i got it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. Nils Stephenson

The main difference with the final variation of the 300P is the top. The vent goes from having four wide supports for the top cap to having eight narrow vertical supports. Very similar to the top on the later 350 lamps but still with the same enamel cap as before. The ring for the level gauge changes knurling from straight grooves to a cross hatch design and the pump knob goes down to 19mm from 22mm. There might be a couple of changes I have missed, but this is what I can remember at the moment. I can see that I should take some photographs of mine to add to the gallery.

8. Sellig33

Thanks Nils for this informations.

9. Hazel Arbitrario Philippines

Hi i have optimus 300p pressure lamp. Good condition..

10. MYN

Hmm...why did they make a red top vent? No idea if that's of any significance to Optimus. P for Porcelain or something?

11. Hazel Arbitrario Philippines

The original optimus 300 P is no gauge..

12. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Most likely the P stands for Petroleum, there was a B model as well, staning for Bensin, Swedish for Petrol or Gasoline.

Regards / Fred,

13. Nils Stephenson

It's possible, but I am not convinced. Mainly because the 100 got the suffix N and not P like the other models. All the older 300s were petroleum (kerosene, paraffin, fotogen, etc) anyway, so why suddenly mark them as that. I don't even have a guess at what it could stand for.

14. MYN

Out of curiosity, did all the Optimus 300P came with red tops on the hoods? Or had there any with the usual nickel-plated brass top hoods?

15. Nils Stephenson

There is no documented proof, but enough examples turn up that I expect that Optimus used up their stock of nickel tops before going over to the red ones. There always seems to be mixtures of parts in the transition phase from one variation to the next. According to the catalogues though, the 300P only came with a red top.

Now thinking about it, a far fetched possibility for the "P" could be for porcelain. Enamel was sometimes described as porcelain, so that's a possibility. It also fits with the 100N as it retained the nickel plated top.

16. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

That's an idea, but porcelain is not likely to be used in Swedish for enamel. That's "Emalj", even if some people wrongly refer to enamel as porcelain (porslin).
    But it's of course a possibility that it could be in a foreign language. That is not unusual, so why not?
    But what about the all-brass versions? They can be called 200P.

17. MYN

Vitreous enamel is sometimes called porcelain enamel as far as I'm aware of. Just to differentiate from the lacquer type of enamel.
    Of course, that's completely different from the real ceramic porcelain.
    With Optimus, I think it could be anything, perhaps even any language. I won't be too surprised even if 'P' stands for positive(with) and 'N', for negative(without).

18. Nils Stephenson

I don't think we will ever know. Doesn't stop us from guessing though. :)

All we do know is that there was a model change at the end of the 40s and they changed the numbering.