Optimus 930 300 c.p.

Discussion in '930' started by george, Aug 28, 2020.

1. george

george United States Subscriber

Don't know about the years these were made, sometime in the 1980's or 90's?
    It's a nice lantern from an appearance standpoint but runs very, very hot! In fact, I had to replace the mixing tube! It went to bright red and burned out when I wasn't looking!
    I've had it about 10 years.

20200828_130834.jpg

Same lantern, with a nice shade made of some kind of cloth. I have a nice clear plastic handle around here somewhere but as usual, I can't find the damn thing!

20200828_130932.jpg

Did Optimus make two different c.p. versions of this lantern? I noticed mine is 300 c.p. and some of the other examples are 350 c.p., anyone know the story on this?

2. george

No, I wouldn't even think about lighting this with the shade attached! Fire insurance is paid up but I don't want to chance it...
    (Yes, I do change my shirt once in a while...):?

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It's a bit hard to date this version of the 930 as it didn't really change from about 1960 to roughly 1980. With the shade and glass handle (not plastic) it became the model 930A.

The 930 does run hot and even hotter with the shade on. I have one with a cloth shade that has seen a bit of use and there hasn't been a fire (yet).

A brief history of the 930.
    It started in 1954 as the 350cp model and had a lot of the burner parts from the 200. They might have called them 350cp but I think that was mostly wishful thinking and creative advertising. There were 2 main variations of the 350cp model before the 300cp model was introduced in 1957. It stayed pretty much the same until they stopped making them sometime in the 80s. There were a few minor variations in that time but the main one was the introduction of the polished brass version in the 70s. That's the short history.

4. george

@Nils Stephenson
    Nils, thank you so much for the brief history! So this model started about 1957 and remained until sometime in the 1980's. That's really good information. This really makes me want to find that handle! It's around here somewhere!
    :clap::thumbup:

5. george

I also have another shade, too. It's a green color and I believe it's Swedish army. It reminds me of a canvas material. I'll see if I can dig it out!:-k

6. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

There were a few small changes to the 300cp model. The first control wheel was the large type as found on the 1550 etc. I don't know when it was replaced by the small wheel as on yours, but definitely by 1960. The filler cap also changes late in the life of the model to one with high wings on it. That's why I put the time frame for yours between 60 and 80.

The green military shade is really ugly but I suppose it did it's job. Stopped light from the sides and only allowed light directly on the table or whatever.

7. george

Ah, man! Does this need ironing! Looks like I pulled it from under an elephant! Sorry for awful appearance!

20200829_153444.jpg

8. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

@george

We had those green shades on the 930 lanterns used in the Swedish army in the command tents back in 1988 when I served. Guess they wasn't used much longer than that.

Matti