Optimus 930 - 300CP

Discussion in '930' started by Graham P, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

Recenltly recieved this Optimus 930, the box was so small I couldnt reclose it, a few foam beans the only packing,
    No wonder the chipped glass didnt survive not that I cared, also the pump solder seam was freshly torn ,I think from transport damage .

1386830296-Optimus_930_300C_opt.jpg

The lamp has cleaned up nicely a little solder job a spare Austramax un branded Schot globe, all that is needed to run is a porcelain nozzle, a spirit cup, & a new lead washer for tank - valve joint.

1386830323-Optimus_930_001_opt.jpg

1386830346-Optimus_930_003_opt.jpg

Can anyone help with dating and parts .
    Graham

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Claus C

I have always liked this lamp. Gratulation :thumbup:
    No fixed mixinghood and is stamped 300 cp so a wild guess is 1958-1960.
    With that wrapping, youre lucky. It looks beautifull.

Claus C

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This model was made for a long time so a precise date is not possible. They used exactly the same parts from 1957 until about 1980. Around the end of the 70's or start of the 80's they changed the filler cap and that was about the only change for the next 10 years. The best bet is to find out where it was used and what would be a likely period for when they bought it.

Any Petromax style 250cp mantle holder will fit. The spirit cup is not so easy. The original was spot welded onto the base plate and it is not unheard of for them to break loose and get lost. A possible replacement is a spirit cup from a PEtromax style lamp agian as long as it doesn't have a tube below the cup.

4. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Nils, does that filler cap look like the one on the brass 930 I posted last week?
    I assumed that my lantern was very late, and the filler cap look very strange to me. No Optimus markings, for one.

Graham, I can see why you didn't bother about that straight glass it came with being broke.
    Pity nevertheless. It could have been used elsewhere.
    The Austramax globe does the trick just as well as an original Optimus globe (or an equivalent Coleman type). The important thing is that the lantern gets a bulged globe. :thumbup:

5. Nils Stephenson

That's the one. The nickel version of the 930 continued for a while with this filler cap before they stopped that and only sold the polished brass version. That pointy winged filler cap was introduced on a few of their items at that time.

6. Claus C

Is there a red line or timeline to follow looking at the controlhandles Nils/Christer?.
    This is the 3 types of handles I have mounted on a: 350 to the left with red big handle, a 300 in the middle with a small black handle and the 300 to the right with at similar small but red handle.
    These are of course un-restored :content:

1386879946-optimus_930_002_opt__1_.jpg

Claus C

7. Nils Stephenson

To start with I will say I have never seen the black wheel. The larger one on the left was introduced in 1957 and was used on the 930 for a few years. I don't know how many, but it couldn't be for long as theydo not turn up that often. You mostly see them on 930's that are a combination of pieces from the 350 and 300 models. The one on the right is the standard 930 300cp type from about 1960 on.

8. Claus C

Ok thanks Nils.
    Well the wheel is black alright.
    1386881237-Optimus_black_wheel_003_opt.jpg

Claus C

9. jonathan fairbank

Hi Claus,

I have just acquired an Optimus 930 lamp & have already managed to find the proper etched bulge globe for it, but am now trying to fiddle a new red valve wheel knob for it, as the original it came with as been seriously scorched.

Having read this topic & seen note being paid to a possible "black wheel knob", I find myself having to ask if this picture in your post depicting the black wheel, isn't or is actually scorched & "red" under the heat damage ?

Simple to check it out, could ya take a look & let us all know please ?

Fantastic lamps & I'm going to go properly to town, when re-furbishing my own ! The tank & frame is going to get a new chromium dip coating.

Sorry I can't add any pictures yet, as my cameras playing up & am waiting for a computer tech to call !! Though I'll take some before & after pic's, once I start the work.

Does anyone know what size needle jet nipple, I'll be needing to use or buy, please ?

Just from checking around within CPL topics, I think the universal opinion, is to go with a 250 size; which is purchasable within the Bay, from a well known seller there.

Does anyone have a better opinion, as I'd be glad to learn ? Belter lamps these, I'd like to see if I could find a full brass version, eventually; but if that's problematic, a full sulphur dip, just might clear all the old coatings off. So long as the silver solder hangs onto the priming tray & doesn't frazzle it off (oy va boi) !?

"One of each then/ nice arrows for my empty box's" (he he he). Thanks'. eh !!

Cheers,
    Jon.

10. Guest 1579 Guest

Its possible to narrow down the production date, with a close up picture of the filler cap with the air realease screw. There are smaller differences on other parts as well. E.g. the inner hood. "They used exactly the same parts from 1957 until about 1980" is not correct.

Claus, Is it possible to take a closer look at the plastic in the control wheel? It might be dark red underneath.