Optimus 930 - Made in Zimbabwe

Discussion in '930' started by Nils Stephenson, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This is another lamp I have been after for ages. I wont go into why they were produced in Zimbabwe as this has been discussed elsewhere.

Anyway, this is a relatively poorly made example of the usual Optimus 930. The main problems being rough finish on any cast items and other parts with sharp edges. The galvanising of the main globe cage is also quite thin and 'dusty'.

There are some differences from the 'standard' 930 that should be noted though. The handle is of a thin gauge and is fastened to the top with two threaded pins. The pump uses an O-ring. The control wheel is a late plastic style. There was no wheel on this lamp when I got it so I have used a later wheel of the type used on the last 1200M.

This example looks to only have been lit once and only very shortly. Apart from some darkening of the Preston loop, it is almost unused.

Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_front.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_pump_side.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_filler_side.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_burner.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_label.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_pump.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_disassembled.jpg

One thing I noticed was that the Preston loop is hard against the three uprights of the globe cage. So much so that it has left dents in the loop.

Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_tight_fit.jpg Optimus_930_Zimbabwe_ring_marks.jpg

As the lamp is virtually NOS, I wont be lighting it.

2. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Nils Stephenson ...A great looking lantern :thumbup:

Is that a lacquered brass finish?...Also what year/time frame would it have been made, at all?

Cheers!

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Yes it is lacquered brass. The lacquer is very thin though, so wouldn't last the first couple of uses.

Considering Optimus Zimbabwe started in 1982, it is a fair bet that the lamps were made shortly after. I don't know how long the company lasted, but it couldn't have been long.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find!:thumbup:

5. James K

James K United Kingdom Subscriber

An interesting find.