Optimus 930

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by FMJ, Dec 2, 2011.

1. FMJ

Hi everyone
    I'm new to the forum and from Norway.
    I am trying to restore an Optimus 930. The lamp is in ok condition, but has not been used for many years. I have no former experience with pressure lamps at all. I have mounted a 300 CP silk mantle and changed the pump leather.
    I am still not able to pump pressure onto the kerosene tank and think the pump valve is the problem. Is it possible to fix the valve (loosen it and clean it)? Alternatively change it?

Best Regards
    FMJ

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello and welcome aboard, it sounds like the valve needs to be removed and restored, there is a removal tool which is designed for that job.

Some of the Scandinavian collectors will be able to add more details.

Speaking of collectors from Scandinavia, has Magnus Thilander joined this forum yet? Jeff.

3. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

FMJ, the NRV at the bottom of the pump tube might of course be your problem, but there are a couple of other things that also might cause your lanterns leakage.
    But first of all you must realize that paraffin lanterns from Sweden generally don't have any positive shut off valve (the control wheel only operates the cleaning needle, even if it also make a pretty good seal in the upper position as long as you have a liquid in the tank), so you will always loose pressure, and this is especially noticeable if you only test it with an empty tank.
    The most common culprit is actually the seal in the tank lid.

Anyway, the NRV is removed (counter-clockwise) with a slotted tool that you easily make yourself out of some suitable metal part that fits snugly inside the pump tube. Look at my pictures below, and I hope you'll get the idea.
    The big thing at the bottom is an old cold chisel in which I cut a slot of the desired 5mm to fit on the head of the NRV.
    The weaker thing above is the original tool which I find to soft.
    Above that one you can see a new NRV, and above that one in its turn; a disassembled one.

The best way for you to know where the air seeps out is to drain the tank completely, pump it vigorously, remove the pump and toss it all in a bucket of water.
    This will soon reveal the leakage, but remember that it probably will bubble out from the jet! This is normal due to the lack of a positive shut off valve.

1322853068-ett.jpg

1322853077-tv__.jpg

Good luck! :thumbup:

Attached Files:

4. Carlsson

Oh my!
    This forum was formed a bit too late to get his attention... :lol:
    I don't think he even know about its existance!
    He lost interest in this hobby long ago. He's been busy to sell of his stuff in order to finance new interests.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  5. FMJ

Thank you all for your good advice!

The pump valve at the bottom of the pump tube was the problem. I left it with som 556 oil and that seemed to solve the problem.

I have never seen pressure lamps live and I am really impressed with all the light it gives off!

Again: Thank you for good instructions and pictures!

Anyone who could estimate when this Optimus 930 was produced?

Regards
    FMJ

1322854554-IMG_0415.JPG

1322854562-IMG_0406_kompr.jpg

PS: Added a few photos, but you have to press the url's to see them.

Attached Files:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Christer, thanks for the explanation about Magnus's absense, Jeff.

7. Carlsson

You're welcome Jeff!

FMJ! I inserted your images into the post for you. (Just click "Fullsize" in the manager after you have uploaded your pictures. Just make sure the marker is placed where you want your images to show in the post. In some other foras you'll also get the option "thumbnail" to show clickable miniature images of your files in the post.)

Your lantern looks great. The 930 gives out surprisingly much light considering its size.
    Just don't get too alarmed by the fact that it run pretty hot after a while. It's normal.
    I'm no expert on 930, so can't give you any exact production period, but probably around the mid-fifities or so. That control wheel was used on the first models.
    I'm sure someone will chip in later and give you a more exact period of date even if an exact year probably not will be able to tell.
    It also depend a bit of which version you got. Is it a 300CP or a 350 CP?

8. FMJ

Thank you for fixing the images, Christer.

It says 300CP on the pressure tank. And as you state: It gets pretty hot after a while. I am amazed that the silk mantle survives the heat. I guess these would have to be replaced every now and then.

I like the "complex simplicity" of the lamp. Interesting that there are so many different types registered on this forum.

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Ah, no - you burned off the silk bit when you first lit the mantle and all you're left with is a very fragile, heat-resistant 'ash' which carries various chemicals that incandesce when heated.

You'll discover just how fragile the ash is soon enough - mantles, once lit, don't stand any physical abuse for long. When you have to change the mantle, you need to double-bag it for disposal - and don't breathe in any of the ash which contains all sorts of 'nasties' you don't want inside you...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  10. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Well I'll chip in with a bit of information. :lol:

The 300 CP version of the 930 was made from 1957 to well into the 1980s. I don't have any evidence, but guess that this control wheel came along around 1960. The later lamps (from the 1980s at least) had a different filler cap style with two high pointy 'wings'. So it's not really possible to say when the lamp is from except to say it could be 1960s or 1970s. Apart from military contracts, I don't think they made many after the 1960s.

11. FMJ

Thank you, Nils and David, for your information :content: .

I recon these lamps are quite robust being produced over such a long period of time, and that there are no reason for not using them.
    Are there any special service/spare parts that are required to keep them in good condition (except the silk mantle)?

FMJ

12. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

GREAT PIECE this is! If there was ever a "list" of the "Great Ones", the 930 would be on it for sure. This was my first Optimus. I break it out in the winter to burn it when my office gets a "chill". Better than a kerosene heater. Quiet as a mouse when burning.

Bob

13. Carlsson

Yes, these are quite nice lanterns and I do like them alot.
    A bulged globe is never wrong!
    I will never get used to the hood of the 930, though. It's just plain ugly in my eyes. :doh:
    ...but then again; it's always in the eye of the beholder, isn't it, and I'm sure some find them to be good looking.

14. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Arguably the best lantern Optimus ever made. I have yet to find one that can't be restored to function and they always work well. The globe can be a problem but a small Coleman bulge will fit to make up a complete working lamp while you wait for the real thing to turn up.

I like the hood on these although they do go blue with the heat.

::Neil::

15. 350i

Some really helpful info in this post. Being a newbie myself (and not having fired up my own 930 yet) I didn't realise the Swedish lanterns didn't have a positive shut-off.
    I've just bought a Primus lantern which I'll be posting about shortly. The NRV is leaking, would the same tool meant for their stoves fit their lanterns provided it is long enough? I'm asking because there is one listed on ebay along with the viton washers for the valve.
    David, regarding the mantles being toxic, does that go for modern ones as well (ie. Coleman) or mainly the older thorium type?
    Cheers
    Trevor

16. JEFF JOHNSON

They are well made lanterns which work well. :thumbup: Jeff.

17. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes the NRV is the same in both stoves and lamps. In fact a home made tool is better than the "Official" type. If you make one up from a bolt or whatever you will get a much heavier and better fitting tool which will do less damage to the valve. This is one case where the real thing is actually not all that good and you can make better at home. ::Neil::

18. 350i

Thanks Neil
    I'll see what I've got around the place to make one up...

19. carlin

Hy everyone!I'm new and I'm from italy!
    I've bought right now an amazing OPTIMUS 930 at a local flea market, I'm very proud of it!
    Now, i need to change the pump leather gasket, anyone has an idea of where I can find it? But, the most important question is: what kind of fuel I need to use? I mean, reading your topics i see terms like "kerosene" "meth" "fuel" and so on, i 've tried with denaturate alchohol (red alchohol) but it don't lights up..any ideas? Thanks a lot! sincerely Carlo :)
    P.S. that's the first pressure lamp I own!

20. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Carlo,

your lantern uses kerosene/paraffin (or, in French, petrole). It will not work on alcohol or methylated spirits although you need this for pre-heating (in the small tray at the bottom of the generator/vapourising tube). NEVER use Coleman fuel, car petrol, diesel or anything similar. Any seals you may need or pump cups can be bought in "The Fettle Box", see the square in the top right hand corner.

Welcome!

Best regards,

Wim

21. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello and welcome aboard Carlo! :thumbup:

22. carlin

Thanks Wim and thanks to all! I filled up my lamp with "petroil" and now shines like the sun! Very happy! :)

23. James

James Subscriber

I must admit I am not much of a fan of the Optimus 930. I have one and the damn thing turns the mantle black, even after I fitted a new jet. Plus it has a steel cage that rusts. I prefer the 1200 - I have three of those and they all work fine.