Optimus (Lux?) Sirius

Discussion in 'Other models' started by pitu, Oct 3, 2011.

1. pitu

Hello! I found recently this Swedish lantern. Looks very similar to Lux Sirius in our lamp gallery, but there are few differences. The lantern is marked Optimus, Lux marking is only on vaporiser, but I couldn't find any similar Optimus lantern. Does anybody have any info about these lamps?

Piotr

1317650693-sirius.jpg 1317650743-sirius3.jpg 1317650764-sirius4.jpg 1317650800-sirius5.jpg 1317650809-sirius6.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

That's a fantastic lantern. I have heard of Sirius marked Optimuses.
    The only conclusion I can make is that Optimus also got the right to continue with the production of these lanterns after they acquired the entire stove manufacturing from Lux in 1914.
    The deal is said to only have been about the stoves while Lux wanted to focus on their main issues street lamps and their new direction: vacuum cleaners.

I don't find it strange if Lux didn't care for this smaller production of lamps that hand held lanterns must have been at this early state, and also allowed Optimus to have the tools and remaining spares for these along with the main deal about the stoves.
    The strange thing is that it is said in some Lux papers that they actually did manufacture the Sirius between 1914-1920, meaning still after the stove deal with Optimus.
    Could they have been doing them parallel with Optimus?
    Or did Lux even make them for Optimus, and just stamped them different?
    Lots of questions here... :lol:

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Maybe Optimus made them after 1920.

4. Carlsson

Also a possibility.

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Does this lamp pre date any other Optimus lantern? If that is the case then maybe Optimus did buy them in to resell under their own brand. ::Neil::

6. pitu

In my opinion this lamp is later to the one showed by Christer. The NRV is integrated with the pump and the hood attachment is different. the on/off knob also is different but this one could be a later modification as it's welded to the shaft.
    One thing is for sure, it was made for export as it was found somewhere in France.
    In my opinion the most plausible solution is that, when Lux ceased production and went for vacuum cleaners, sold all tools and remaining parts to Optimus, which continued production. Of course it's just a theory.

Piotr 1317692442-sirius1.jpg 1317692455-sirius2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The Optimus Sirius is from somewhere between 1914 to the early 20s. This is a lot earlier than when they started production of their Petromax copy lanterns in 1930.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Makes sense then. I knew Optimus made lantens from 1930 but had no info on anything earlier. The Sirius burner unit has the look of a Nulite Storm King about it and that lantern was agressively exported all over the world from at least 1918 if not earlier. I am pretty sure that HASAG bought that lantern in and re badged it so it would not surprise me to learn that Lux had also either bought in the burners or copied the design. To then see it as an Optimus makes complete sense if there was a tie in between Optimus and Lux from 1915 ish. Interesting stuff. ::Neil::

9. Claus C

Pitus lamps burner carry the Lux sparepartnr. 10502 and Christers lamp does also of course. This sparepartnumber is seen in the Lux-catalogue:

http://0flo.com/index.php?posts/42477

So Optimus kept on using these sparepartnumbers from Lux, and just changed the company-name and logo on the fuelcap, tophat and so.

Claus C

10. Lennart Fröberg Sweden

Found this one today - thinking I've seen the hat on Optimus - no markings found yet but upper part apparently (Lux) Sirius...
    [​IMG]
    ...as I found by trawling CPL.

Further searching indicates it was made in spring 1917 in the timelap between it was apparent that a kerosene rationing would come and start of the carbide lamp control program in Sweden.
    Tillverkare - sorry, only swedish text:roll:

11. Carlsson

Lennart, what you have there is an home made hybrid between an old Lux carbide lamp and the upper part of a paraffin pressure lantern.
    Most likely that one also is from the venerable old brand Lux from the looks of it.
    Which also make sense since Lux was the only manufacturer in Sweden that made portable pressure lamps at this early stage.

As you say, the carbide part of your contraption most likely is from around 1917 or so (as also stated from my very own web page about carbide lamps you linked to, thank you very much:content:).

It might be slightly earlier, though, since Lux made miner lamps with the same base before the paraffin rationing of the late WW1.
    It's quite possible that someone who already had this miner lamp placed the top of a, due to the war, obsolete Lux paraffin lantern on it just to keep things going under these hard years.

Either way... you most likely got a thing that someone has cobbled together a century ago due to the way things were back then, so either you keep it as it is because it tells an interesting story, or you take the economical route and sell the things in two different parts.

12. Lennart Fröberg Sweden

But - everything looks like it's made from factory to fit that way and no signs of modification - the holes that should be there and the markings are missing.
    Either someone used unfinished and unmarked parts to put it together in factory-like finish or...
    The only thing looking like a modification is the brazing between the "front burner" and the pipe to the "top burner".
    Just think it should be markings on top and tank...:-k:-k:-k

13. Carlsson

The strange appearance with the soldered tube from the original miner lamps frontal mounted burner is as it should look, so that part is actually factory made.

It's not strange that people cobbled up things like this back then when they actually needed a light for a certain purpose. You take what you got, etc...
    I can make a thing look like your 'Lamp' without problems with any of my old carbide lamps from Lux and the globe cage part of my Lux lantern from the time.

It is of course still possible that Lux made this themself as a quick solution as soon as it stood clear that paraffin should be rationed.
    Can you give us a better picture of the bottom of the globe cage and how it's mounted?