Paint Removal Bialaddin 305

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by mauser, Mar 26, 2021.

1. mauser

This is my first Bialaddin renovation and I’m struggling to remove the olive coloured finish from the cage surround and hood. I’ve tried paint & varnish remover but it’s hardly made an impression. I don’t want to have it media blasted because I don’t want any pitting on it. Sorry if this has been asked before but anyone got any suggestions ? Thanks.

2. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I would try boiling water. If that fails "starchem" stripper (but it is quite strong)

3. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

What are you trying to remove from where? The hood is vitreous enamelled so paint stripper won't touch it, and you don't really want to strip the enamel off as no paint will survive the heat for long ( not even VHT).
    ETA: Sorry, that might have come across slightly snarky- are you trying to remove some sort of overpainting? Pics might help.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  4. mauser

The cage surround, where it says Bialaddin and the model etc. The hood being enamelled would explain things. I bought the hood from the bay with a portion of finish around the lettering already removed by the seller which is why I assumed it was some kind of paint. Seems like I’m stuck with a useless hood. I have another just plain brass so I’ll find a heat resistant paint and try that. Can anyone suggest a paint ? Thanks.

5. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

OK, I now see; you have a brass hood with Bialaddin stamped on it? That's off an early 300x- the 305 has an enamelled steel hood which is what confused me. In which case stripper should work- try Barretine Paint Panther or Screwfix No Nonsense.

6. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

If possible, a few photos would help a great deal in correctly diagnosing the problem.