Paper tube in Coleman generators?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by rbhodges, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rbhodges

I've look at at least a hundred of these, but never gave it a second thought. But as I was puting a new gen in my 242C I couldn't help but wonder what does the card board tube in a Coleman generator do? Any answers?

Rick

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Rick, are you sure it is cardboard and not asbestos or a modern 'safe' equivalent? The filling is there to help with vapourising, filter the fuel etc. . Cardboard would simply carbonise away!

All the best,

Wim

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I don't think that is card but it does look like it. Generator packing can perform four functions. Filter, back pressure restrictor, guide for the pricker and heat transfer medium. This card type won't filter and probably doesn't affect backpressure much but it will assist the transfer of heat to the fuel. In this case the tube also helps keep the pricker rod central. ::Neil::

4. Jacob van Pareen South Africa

I do not think this tube will facilitate heat transfer, being closer to isolation material, than a conductor of heat, like for example, the spring.

5. Dashwood United States

It's meant to add an obstruction to slow the amount of fuel entering the generator to give time for the fuel to fully vaporize, too much and too fast of a flow will result in pulsing or flickering of the lantern.

6. Jacob van Pareen South Africa

I burnt such a paper tube, that became black, with a propane flame, until it became red hot. It smoked a lot and cooled down, to become white again.
    Put it back in my 200A gen, and fired the lantern.
    Oscillations were less and the mantle burnt brighter. What did I learn?
    It does act as a choke in the path of the fuel, (becoming gas), but chokes too much, when dirty.
    I used a " home made coil of multi-strand copper wire", substituting this paper tube, with some success.